WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Trademark Questions

azbusinessazbusiness subscriber Posts: 12
edited September 2011 in Business Planning
So, I am interested in creating a trademark for one of my new companies. The downside is the company name is actually a commonly used phrase. I have questions regarding this. 1) Would I be able to trademark the name? 2) If someone had a domain which was www."trademark"word.com would I be able to send a legal letter to the domain registrar and obtain the domain? 3) Would I be able to pursue legal action of those who use my trademark should I want to? 4) Are trademarks upheld in court? 5) If I only have a trademark in the USA and a company uses the trademark in lets say Canada are they free of the legal burden since I don't have a trademark in canada? 6) Do trademarks have to be renewed annually? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    GaryBarzelGaryBarzel subscriber Posts: 1
    As far as I know you can trademark a phrase as long as you can prove it's a brand. However you need to trademark it for every class; meaning if it's for shirts then it only works for that unless you pay for it to apply to hats as well. Also a trademark only applies in the jurisdiction that it was applied for.