WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

How can I resist getting critiqued?

JusOlAlJusOlAl subscriber Posts: 2
edited July 2007 in Website Critique
My site, www.bedspreads-quilts-comforters.com, has only been up for a couple of months and isn`t up high on the search engines yet (24th on Yahoo and not in sight on Google) but I do get visitors.  What I am concerned about is that the ratio of visitors to sales is much too low.  It could be that the product is wrong for the internet but I maybe I could also improve my site to improve sales.  Thanks for any advice.  I am really looking forward to this.Jus Ol Alwww.bedspreads-quilts-comforters.com

JusOlAl2007-7-10 13:42:59

Comments

• Options
    aaronserrandsaaronserrands subscriber Posts: 6
    you need to make you URL a link.

aaron
  • Options
    VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    Get rid of the background.  It blends into the text making it hard to read.Also, get rid of the all caps headings - it screams amateur.  Bold and bigger font will do better. (Use the H1, H2 or H3 heading tag)Your guarantee is too one-sided - I wouldn`t buy for that reason alone.  I also won`t buy anything unseen with a restocking fee.  This says, `it will cost more than you will receive in refunds to send it back, so tough patooties.`Some of the grammar needs work and your copy rambles.These two sentences are very confusing (in addition to poor grammar):
    For us to
    maintain competitive pricing there is a $50.00 minimum total order
    size. 
    We apologize
    but we will charge an additional $10.00 for any order of less
    than $50.00.They should not be underlined because that looks like a link and personally I feel that these two lines are confusing and condescending.  The logic of what they say baffles me.  Are you saying that small orders aren`t worth your time?  Do you *really* incur additional costs for small orders?  And how in the world does a minimum order change your cost basis - "to maintain competitive pricing"?  I don`t mean to pry into your business, but none of this is customer friendly, and I am sure I wouldn`t be treated this poorly on other sites.  The more I look at your site, the less I like it.  On one page you say that you don`t ship out of the US, and on the orders page you say to inquire about shipping outside the US.  When I try to place an order, THE PRICE CHANGES!!!  $30.95 becomes $59.95 ???   $60.95 became $219.95 ???On top of that, your shipping prices are high for Priority Mail and they seem to be arbitrary without regard to shipping weight or distance.If I were shopping for quilts, I would be gone from this site so fast.You also have at least one broken link.  "Continue Shopping" returns a 404 error (page not found).
  • Options
    VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member

The site itself looks nice, works fine, and so forth. But I think this
    isn`t about the technical aspects (although there are some great points
    above). It`s about creating an emotional appeal in your visitors.

JusOlAl,Perhaps I went too deep in criticizing your site, but in me you have the perspective of someone who *is* currently shopping for furnishings, including quilts.  (We recently moved from California to New England).  I was intrigued by the variety of the selection, but the technical flaws on the site and the one-sided guarantees and policies (not customer friendly by any means) told me loud and clear to shop elsewhere.Steve