WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Tradeshow Success

PRProPRPro subscriber Posts: 25
edited August 2006 in Marketing
Hi Fellow Entrepreneurs,
What events and tradeshows have you participated in that helped your business increase sales and brand recognition?
Did you do anything out of the ordinary to publicize your business at the event(s)?
Thanks for your input. I think many of us would love to hear what has worked for others in this area.
Have a great day!
Melanie

Comments

• Options
    LauraGlynnLauraGlynn subscriber Posts: 2
    I think that the best advice for tradeshow planning is Don`t forget to plan for After the show! 
    For example, how are you going to follow-up on all those potential leads. and who is going to do it?
    Seems obvious but it is good to have a plan.  And a backup plan if you get too busy to do your own calls.
    Other than that, we look for shows that are industry specific.  A good place to start is with organizations in your field.  For example, we really like the eLearning Guild for our industry.
    http://www.elearningguild.com/index.cfm</A>?
    JMHO!
    Laura
  • Options
    Hi Laura,
    Thanks for your input. I agree that the tradeshow follow-up is very important to secure potential leads. And it can be easy to forget about making the appropriate "after-event" plans with all of the deadlines, excitement and activities involved before and during the event.
    However, by planning for ALL aspects of an event well in advance, and focusing on the specific target audience, tradeshows can help increase your ROI and business growth.
    Does anyone else have comments on tradeshow participation success?
    Thanks,
    Melanie
  • Options
    MelissaMelissa subscriber Posts: 7
    Well, I think I have a success story at least as far as brand recognition goes...if not in the way of clients...yet.  Still working on it! 
    At any rate, I`ve done 2 bridal shows so far and for the most part, when I do call backs, people do remember who I am because....in the wedding planning business, it`s not very often that you find a CPA!  That has been fabulous for marketing...
    Something else that has been successful for me is that I did a survey at my last show.  It had basic questions regarding people`s wedding plans and regarding whether or not they would actually consider wedding consulting services if money were no object.  From this I have 25 names of people who actually do want my services and I`ve eliminated the need to call a lot of people back because I gave them the option to "opt-out"...saving myself time!  I gave brides a little "favor" in exchange for taking time to fill out the survey and actually created a bottleneck at this past show because everyone wanted one.  I plan to do it again...especially because it also gives me a great feel for who my potential customers are...before I even call them back.
    The info I gathered has also been extremely helpful in my marketing and advertising efforts...and even resulted in my making a few "tweaks" to how I charge for my services to gain more clients... 
  • Options
    Hi MeLissa,
    Great job! Thank you so much for telling us about your success! It shows how important it is to provide benefits for your targeted audience while stressing your unique factors (and why they should purchase from you rather than a competitor).
    It also sounds like you are a pro at follow-up which is exremegly important and tends to be forgotten. Keep up the great work, and I`ll be you`ll have more work than you can handle!
    Melanie