WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Brand that helps to promote my website, or not?

handelgatehandelgate subscriber Posts: 2
edited June 2008 in Marketing
Hi everybody,
I`ve been working on my website and now it is up and running again. www.handelgate.com
I have doubts regarding this "ex-Soviet countries" expression I often use on my website. On one
hand it helps people understand what it is all about, on the other
once we had a quarrel with our hosting provider (there was a downtime
on the server), the company is located in the US and finally the admin wrote smth like "you
Soviets know nothing about IT"...
It makes me think I should use some other brand to promote my website!? Are these Cold War things still alive?
Moreover, I`m starting a blog now but with the same phrase, so any opinion would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    Hi everybody,
    I`ve been working on my website and now it is up and running again. www.handelgate.com
    I have doubts regarding this "ex-Soviet countries" expression I often use on my website. On one hand it helps people understand what it is all about, on the other once we had a quarrel with our hosting provider (there was a downtime on the server), the company is located in the US and finally the admin wrote smth like "you Soviets know nothing about IT"...
    It makes me think I should use some other brand to promote my website!? Are these Cold War things still alive?
    Moreover, I`m starting a blog now but with the same phrase, so any opinion would be appreciated.

Despite the incredible success of Barack Obama,  prejudices still exist in America - and that includes prejudices against Russians and other nationalities. That being said, you have the right to freedom of expression. However, if you are uncomfortable expressing that freedom or are feeling pressure to go in another direction, you may have to seriously consider that option. But that`s a decision only you can make.

Dale King
    DaleKing6/10/2008 12:18 PM
  • kathleenfasanellakathleenfasanella subscriber Posts: 0
    Unfortunately, you have a long row to hoe. The problem is the behavior of those who`ve preceded you. First, it`s GREAT you`re using a US hosting service. That`ll lend you a lot of credibility. The problem with .ru and .cn companies is that most of these extensions are banned on many blogs. There`s an incredible amount of spamming generated from .ru and .cn. There`s others of course but in the whole time I`ve been running my sites (with millions of hits), I`ve only had one legitimate .ru company posting to my blog. One! My spam filters are configured to ban all .ru and .cn extensions. Now I realize you`re not doing that but the prejudice remains. That`s why I said it`s good you`re using an extension other than .ru