WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

How do you sue a big name company for stealing your concept

nsruiznsruiz subscriber Posts: 1
edited April 2009 in Protecting Your Ideas
I invented a product in 2000 and submitted it to one of these invention submission companies in 2000.  Paid money for some docs and press releases and such.  Filed a disclosure doc with trademark office which only last 2 years.  I submitted my idea to several BIG name companies one being SONY and years later I find my exact product designed my way in their company website.  Now I know I did not file a patent and I probably was scammed by the invention company, but like I said I submitted to Sony and now they have my product.  Does anyone know a lawyer who might take my case for a standard 33% without a retainer.  Ethically I did not want to sue, but if people can get away suing companies and making money for ridiculous things I figure I had a shot at atleast an out of court settlement for something real that I can prove.

I poured my life savings into this project only for the little guy to lose.  Can anyone out here help the little guy for once???  email me at nsruiz@aol.com if you can.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    I can`t give you specific advice.  Without a patent and without any money to at least hire a lawyer to look into this for you, you might want to consider just getting over it.  My sense of your chances of finding a lawyer to work for free unless he finds a pile of money is pretty close to zero.  Retainer or nothing.
  • Options
    nsruiznsruiz subscriber Posts: 1
    thank you very much...How much would a retainer be?  and what if you could sue for a serious amount and your cut being almost 40% is it still hard to find a lawyer to do it.  I just read a case against Target in which it was something real simple and not even major and they settled out of court for 5 million.  40 % of 5 million is not bad and in my case SONY sells the product for $249 a piece and I am sure if challenged with a jury trial they would settle out of court to eliminate the negative press just like Target.  Either way I greatly appreciate your time to answer my question.

Thanks and God Bless!
  • Options
    patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    Forty percent, or ninety percent, of zero is zero.  The "negative press" angle does not carry much weight in most cases.  If Target handed out $5 million for everybody that claimed Target [or one of their manufacturers] "stole their concept" [even though there was never any patent granted or even applied for], Target would be out of business by Wednesday.