How do you sue a big name company for stealing your concept

nsruiznsruiz subscriber Posts: 1
edited April 2009 in Protecting Your Ideas
I invented a product in 2000 and submitted it to one of these invention submission companies in 2000.  Paid money for some docs and press releases and such.  Filed a disclosure doc with trademark office which only last 2 years.  I submitted my idea to several BIG name companies one being SONY and years later I find my exact product designed my way in their company website.  Now I know I did not file a patent and I probably was scammed by the invention company, but like I said I submitted to Sony and now they have my product.  Does anyone know a lawyer who might take my case for a standard 33% without a retainer.  Ethically I did not want to sue, but if people can get away suing companies and making money for ridiculous things I figure I had a shot at atleast an out of court settlement for something real that I can prove.

I poured my life savings into this project only for the little guy to lose.  Can anyone out here help the little guy for once???  email me at [email protected] if you can.

Thanks

Comments

• patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    I can`t give you specific advice.  Without a patent and without any money to at least hire a lawyer to look into this for you, you might want to consider just getting over it.  My sense of your chances of finding a lawyer to work for free unless he finds a pile of money is pretty close to zero.  Retainer or nothing.
  • nsruiznsruiz subscriber Posts: 1
    thank you very much...How much would a retainer be?  and what if you could sue for a serious amount and your cut being almost 40% is it still hard to find a lawyer to do it.  I just read a case against Target in which it was something real simple and not even major and they settled out of court for 5 million.  40 % of 5 million is not bad and in my case SONY sells the product for $249 a piece and I am sure if challenged with a jury trial they would settle out of court to eliminate the negative press just like Target.  Either way I greatly appreciate your time to answer my question.

Thanks and God Bless!
  • patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    Forty percent, or ninety percent, of zero is zero.  The "negative press" angle does not carry much weight in most cases.  If Target handed out $5 million for everybody that claimed Target [or one of their manufacturers] "stole their concept" [even though there was never any patent granted or even applied for], Target would be out of business by Wednesday.