WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Business Writer`s Website

beckfordbeckford subscriber Posts: 3
edited December 2007 in Website Critique
Hello,

I would like to invite anyone interested in providing feedback for my site. Essentially, I`m interested in knowing whether or not you find the site credible. Would you contact this person if you needed this type of service.

I built the site myself as a method of introducing my company and services. It is essentially meant to be a kind of web resume with the goal of encouraging people to contact me for more information.

But, and maybe I`m wrong here, I opted not to go for a hard sell. Does that make sense?

Anyway, any feedback good or bad would be most welcome and appreciated.

The site is http://www.beckfordcommunications.net

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    nevadasculnevadascul subscriber Posts: 3 Member

Hi,
    I looked at your web site.  Just my opinion, but you need to be more dynamic in your opening sales pitch.  You also need to get to the heart of what service you provide much faster and with fewer words.  Here are some suggestions I came up with to address these issues.

Beckford Communications specializes in communications consulting and training. And, our goal is to give your organization that polish professional look prospective clients seek out.

In today’s competitive markets, the wrong words or tone can loose a sale. That’s why training and coaching in the following areas is so important:
    • Create business plans that get you funded
    • Produce proposals that win you projects
    • Deliver presentations that establish you as the go-to professional
    • Provide collateral that wins and keeps clients
    • Equip your staff with skills that produce top-quality results
    • Develop internal procedures that save you time and money
    • Harness the knowledge and experience that make your company stand out
    With our assistance you can excel in all these areas. So, let us assist you. Explore our site and learn more about the services Beckford Communications provides. Then,

contact us
    today to see how we can help you succeed.

nevadascul12/19/2007 8:28 PM
  • Options
    Thank you, Nevadascul. I think you`re right about getting to the point quicker. Thanks a lot for your feedback and recommendations. I really appreciate it!
  • Options
    Good point. Thank you. I need to make it clearer that I provide the collateral not the campaign. One thing I have thought about doing was including comments from previous clients on the site, perhaps with links to their sites. What do you think?

It`s funny, but many of my fellow writers and I often groan about the fact that we have no trouble writing for and about someone else, but can`t seem to comfortably manage the same when it comes to tooting our own horns.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    KevDevKevDev subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    Marsha:
    I might be preaching to the converted here, but remember that in many cases web sites are secondary marketing tools - secondary, that is, to your other promotional efforts.
    One great way for a writer as yourself to spread the word is by joining the many professional associations for writers and trainers, such as:Society for Technical CommunicationsInternational Association of Business CommunicatorsASTD
    My only other suggestion related to the website is to delete the GoDaddy logo. Although GoDaddy is a fine outfit, advertising it on your page does not benefit you.
    Good luck!KevDev12/20/2007 11:52 AM
  • Options
    Hi KevDev,

Please, preach away. I agree with you on all points.

One thing I did was purchase an upgraded account to get rid of the godaddy logo. As I edit and improve the site (and include suggestions here), I want to replace the site with a revised one. I realized as started building the replacement site that I could be incorporating the same `mistakes` and I`d like to avoid that. So, here I am!

I am also a member of a few organizations, and you are right that they are a great way to build exposure.

Thank you for taking the time to look over my site and comment on it. I really appreciate it.

Marsha
  • Options
    LOL. True. Although I think, for me, it`s more about talking about myself. Ask me to write what I think about politics or science, or a myriad of other topics, and I can go on for days. Ask me to talk about how great I am.....

I was reading a really good article about it recently. Another writer was discussing how so many writers have the same problem. We`re bookworms by nature/personality/habit, and are more likely to be the ones standing standing on the sidelines observing others; not the center of attention.

Anyway, I`m slowly learning to break that habit; at least when it comes to business.

As for the white paper, great idea! Thanks. I think there are a few topics I could turn into helpful white papers.

And again, thanks for all of your comments and suggestions. They are really, really helpful and very much appreciated. I`ll be busy on my website this weekend!