WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

(Untitled)

DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
edited July 2007 in Sales
Do you know what your USP is?
Actually, here`s a better question. Do you know what a USP is?
USP stands for "Unique Selling Proposition."
A Unique Selling Proposition is the reason why somebody shouldbuy from you and not your competition. In other words, theunique features and benefits that your product or service offers consumers.
For example, McDonald`s doesn`t just have hamburgers. They alsohave a Big Mac. And do you know what makes the Big Mac unique?Anybody wanna sing it with me? Here we go..."Two all beefpatties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on asesame seed bun."
Remember that little ditty? Did I just say ditty? Wow...I`mreally dating myself here.
Moving right along. Here`s another example: "When itabsolutely, positively has to be there overnight." Do youremember what company coined that memorable slogan? That`sright, Federal Express.
When Federal Express deployed this USP,it went on to emerge as the dominant leader in the industry,gobbling up market share and also increasing its sales andprofits.
Wrapping things up, here`s a more current example: Google`s USPis its vast amount of information, and how easy it is to usecompared to other search engines.
Google organizes the world`s information and makes ituniversally accessible and useful.
When you visit Google or one of the dozens of other Googledomains, you`ll be able to find information in many differentlanguages; check stock quotes, maps, and news headlines; look-upphonebook listings for every city in the United States; searchbillions of images, etc., etc., etc.
So, does having a UPS really work? The aforementioned examples proves that it does.
In closing, effectively differentiate yourself from your competition and whoknows? You just might become a giant in your industry too!
Dale KingDKing2007-7-17 8:46:25

Comments

• iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    I think you will find a lot of people saying, customer service is their Unique Selling Proposition, or key differentiator. However, it`s quite unlikely that everyone`s customer service skills are the best.
    DKing
    ... I think you`re right. It`s actually a question that should be asked before you start your business. It`s actually part of the reason for creating a business plan before you create a business. The business plan allows you to measure and anticipate problems. One of those problems will definitely be, "how to best sell your product or service." It`s a great idea to figure that out before the doors open. When you`re in "the business," every day costs you money. You don`t have time to think of "your angle" in selling as you`re doing it.I`m with DKing. Know your Unique Selling Proposition.