WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Always Be Selling!

DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
edited June 2007 in Sales
No matter where I am, or who I`m with, I always manage to steer the conversation around to my line of work...what I do for a living.
I want everyone to know that I`m an Internet Marketer. I tell everyone I meet what I do...the butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker...everyone.
I even hand out business cards. And I`m looking into getting some hats and t-shirts printed up as well.
Why? Because I love what I do. But I also do it  for economic reasons.
Let me explain: According to InternetWorldStats.com, there are an estimated 1,133,408,294 people using the Internet worldwide. That`s over a billion people!
Those are astonomical numbers. That means no matter where I go, everyone I meet is a potential customer, as are their friends, relatives and neighbors.
You simply never know where your next customer is going to come from. That`s why you must "Always Be Selling!"
It seems like such an obvious thing, asking for a sale, but it`s something marketers fail to do more often than you realize.
I notice it all the time...Business people who run out of business cards. How in the heck can you run out of business cards? Nowadays, they cost pennies to print up, and they`re mini billboards. There`s no excuse to ever run out of business cards...EVER!
I also see it on Internet marketing forums. A lot of marketers don`t seem to understand that forum postings are a form of free advertising.
It`s true. At the end of your post, forum owners allow you to include a short blurb or advertisement about your business. Technically, it`s called a "signature or sig file," but it`s an advertisement nonetheless.
You can use your "sig" to write something compelling to attract readers to your website, blog or affiliate program.
Yet, I can`t tell you how many times I`ve seen forum sigs with a cutesy phrase or something that has absolutely nothing to do with their business. Why?
If you don`t have a website, join an affiliate program and put your affiliate link in your sig...Just Always Be Selling!
Good things happen to marketers who are fundamentally innovative, morally compelling, and philosophically positive...Always Be Selling!
Every interaction is an opportunity to create new business. If not today, in the future.
I have tip for you. Rent the movie Glengarry Glen Ross. If you`ve already seen it, rent it again. It`s a perfect example of what I`m talking about in this article.
Yes, I know the movie is only a dramatization, but I happen to agree with that kind of mindset.
A word of warning: For those of you with children, the movie contains harsh language.
In closing, sell your product, sell your service, sell yourself. Just...Always Be Selling!
Dale KingDKing2007-6-13 13:43:17

Comments