WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

The Takeaway Technique

DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
edited June 2007 in Sales
Here`s a great sales technique you should try incorporating into your ads or salesletters.Tell your prospect not to buy.That`s right. Tell him or her not to do business with you.Here`s why:Human psychology is a strange thing: The more you tell someone they can`t or shouldn`t have something, the more they want it. It`s amazing, but it`s true. Anyone with children can attest to this fact.The sales technique I`m referring to is called "The Takeaway Close."In direct sales, it works like this: If the prospect is hesitant and you see you aren`t getting anywhere, as you pack up your things and prepare to leave, say to the prospect "I`m sorry I wasted your time. Maybe this isn`t right for you."It`s unbelievable! As soon as you say that, most prospects will immediately say "Wait, hold on a minute! What do you mean it`s not right for me?" The hook has just been baited.Time to do a little fishing.That`s your cue to continue your presentation. But here`s the bonus:Your prospect will now be a lot more interested and attentive than he or she was just moments ago. Incorporating the takeaway closing technique into your ads or salesletters is easy. Simply adding the words "this offer isn`t for everyone" or "this may not be right for you" is usually enough to bait the hook.It`s a great technique, because it`s disarming and attention-getting at the same time. Obviously, it won`t work all of the time and in every situation, but there are plenty of times when you`ll be able to use it effectively in your ads or salesletters.Why not try it and see?Dale KingDKing2007-6-5 14:11:37

Comments

• DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    Yes, it is an old technique, but still not everyone is aware of it or how to properly use it.
    In addition, it never hurts to remind marketers of old, "tried and true" marketing techniques.
    And while a couple of you may find this information elementary,  there are a few people on this forum whom appreciate learning about such techniques, and they`re the ones these posts are for.
    Regarding reverse pyschology, there`s nothing risky about it.
    If you know what you`re doing, that technique works as well today as it ever did.
    The key, of course  is knowing what you`re doing, which is why I wrote the article in the first place.
    Dale KingDKing2007-6-6 14:49:56