WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Website Readability 101

2»

Comments

• Options
    infiltainfilta subscriber Posts: 8
    Dale,
    I see your tactic. You avoid answering my question by attacking my web site. My web site`s font size is a different issue. I thought we were talking about text contrast. But apparently in order to defend yourself you will talk about anything and everything, no matter how related to the matter it is.
  • Options
    VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member

Steve, I no longer do website critiques. Why not create a poll and ask members what they think about the readability of your site. If the consensus if overwhelmingly positive, why bother changing anything?

Dale King
    For one thing, Dale, I highly respect your input when a site is put up for critique and I look forward to hearing from you when my final site goes up.  That goes for Craig and many other regulars here.As I said earlier, the site at MMDV.com is not the site that I will be putting up for review.  I am rewriting my business plan and, I`ve fallen in love with a new tool for generating my web pages. (WYSIWYG Web Builder).  I formerly used MS Word and lot`s of tables and saved as HTML.  I had little control and had to edit in my own HTML code.  Worse yet, the HTML generated by MS Word failed the W3C validation test miserably - hundreds of errors.  I understand that this can cause a search engine `bot to give up early.  (At least this has been my experience).  WWB generates code that only has one easily corrected error.  Maybe I like WWB so much because the UI is so similar to my favorite coding program - Visual Basic.While readability was the topic of the OP, copywriting does go hand-in-hand with visual details.  Sort of like the effect of audio on a video production.  Viewers will be typically more tolerant of bad video than bad audio.  It doesn`t matter how good the video is, if the sound is slightly out of synch, the perceived quality goes way down real fast.So, Dale, I do hope that you will comment on my final site when it goes up in the next few weeks.Videography2008-7-6 0:1:39
  • Options
    DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
      Dale, I highly respect your input when a site is put up for critique and I look forward to hearing from you when my final site goes up.  That goes for Craig and many other regulars here.
    So, Dale, I do hope that you will comment on my final site when it goes up in the next few weeks.

Well, when you put it like that, how can I say no? Will do, Steve.

Dale King
  • Options
    DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    Dale, you`re primarily a marketing guy.  That`s your thing.  You`re not a designer and I know you`re not claiming to be.  So when you give visual design advice (like about color contrast) that reads like hard and fast rules, us designers are likely to contest your words. Why?  Because we realize that design is subjective.
        Yes, Steve, I`m primarily a marketing guy. But I also have a good eye for design. That being said, you have a valid argument about design and readability being subjective. So I`ll concede that point. Dale KingDaleKing7/6/2008 9:12 AM