WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

The Power of Specificity

DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
edited April 2008 in Marketing

"The credibility of your marketing message is in direct proportion to the number of specifics you provide."

Dale King

The above is an original quote. It also happens to be true. For example, don`t just say "lose weight." Instead say, "lose 10 pounds in 10 days!" Be specific.
Why? Because psychologically speaking, specificity just rings truer to most people.
From an early age, we are taught to believe data, because data represents very specific information. As a result, the more specific you can be in your marketing materials, the more credibility you`ll have.
The credibility of your marketing message is in direct proportion to the number of specifics you provide. Using specific numbers in your marketing is far more powerful than vague generalizations.

Dale King
DKing4/5/2008 3:15 PM

Comments

• Options
    Innovator7Innovator7 subscriber Posts: 9
    Very good post indeed.  More than once people don`t understand why I always use specifics in my reasoning or conversation.  I always answer if someone says some generality to me, the message goes into one of my ear and goes out the other one.
    A management training seminar I attended taught exactly the same thing.  On the other hand most people I deal with - the so-so ones - always use non-specific words, for fear of the listener know that they`re actually empty inside.
  • Options
    DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    Very good post indeed. 

Thank you!

Dale King
  • Options
    RicWillmotRicWillmot subscriber Posts: 14
    There are three reasons for this working:The reader becomes psychologically connected to a finite message with the knowledge of a clear and distinct outcome that can be measured.If there is an exactness about the message; people will inherently believe you have researched and validated the information.They know that there will be a conclusion. This is important because most people feel uncomfortable with business left ....    
    hanging.
    Rgds,
    Ric
  • Options
    besthealthbesthealth subscriber Posts: 4
    Really good information being discussed here.............
  • Options
    daleyfla99daleyfla99 subscriber Posts: 1
    Interestingly one of the most successful articles I ever wrote for www.ourbestidea.com was one on Universal Specificity.  It was about being careful of what you want to manifest, by being very, very specific about it.

Marketing does work the same way, Dale is right.  Not me, DK.  LOL.  Anyway you also have to think from your customer`s perspective.  Unless you specifically answer "whats in it for me" they will not care about your product or service.  So put on your thinking caps and get that question answered.  Your sales will automatically increase.