WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

If Google Died Tomorrow...

2»

Comments

• Options
    DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    At this current date, it is not happening "tomorrow" or "overnight" - which of course still doesn`t make it a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket. 

Again, that`s exactly my point. Don`t put all of your eggs into one basket!

http://www.web-source.net/internet_marketing/23845.html

Dale King
    DKing12/23/2007 1:45 AM
  • Options
    vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    I think I read your original post...and I think I understood it.

If google no longer existed tomorrow, those site that rely on google serp would be affected, however, most successful sites that have google serps also have returning traffic (from book marks or direct searched or repeat customers to their ecommerce site). Successful sites also have many referal links...which would not be affected by a non-google world.
    To jump on the other side of thise discussion, I imagine any void left by an abrupt departure of google would be quickly filled by other search engines... and again, if a site is well positioned on google, it probably does ok on other search engines.

The bottom line is having a balanced and diverse sources of traffic (searched, links, referrals, bookmarks) is a good practice in an ever changing www.

~Roland
  • Options
    john146john146 subscriber Posts: 0
    I wonder if putting all your eggs in the Microsoft basket isn`t a bigger concern than all in the Google basket. After all, there are lots of viable search engines, and optimizing for one will probably improve your chances with the others. 
    However, if Microsoft got forced out of business by the attacks on business practices by the various governments around the world, where would you turn?
  • Options
    I wonder if putting all your eggs in the Microsoft basket isn`t a bigger concern than all in the Google basket. After all, there are lots of viable search engines, and optimizing for one will probably improve your chances with the others. 
    However, if Microsoft got forced out of business by the attacks on business practices by the various governments around the world, where would you turn?
     Hmmmm...you must be a Mac user. Dale King
  • Options
    dMCJdMCJ subscriber Posts: 0
    Dale,

This is my first post here and from the prior posts on this thread, I feel like I may be going out on a limb. Please don`t smack my hand if I am just another person who doesn`t get your question.

With or without Google, an integral key to business success is branding and consistent messaging. If a company has been strategic, intentional and consistent in its branding and messaging, while a Google-less world would be an adjustment, it would not necessarily spell the end of a business.

For example, my company has several ways it can be found online and each of our sites points to several other of our sites. It`s a fantastic tangle of related sites all connected to one brand name -- Indie Business -- and also to a large extent to me -- Donna Maria Coles Johnson. So with or without Google, using any search engine or just tooling around online looking for information and entertainment having to do with success as an Indie Business owner or looking for me and my body of work, will lead you to Indie Business and me. Once you get to any of my 13+ websites, it doesn`t matter what Google does because if you are my target customer, you`ll click around, sign up for my newsletter, send me an email or whatever.

So I think the key to surviving either way is getting your message out however you can as often as you can, and you can`t help but survive just about any external business change. And anyone can do this using informational sites, e-commerce sites, blogs, social networking profiles, forum contributions, podcasts and more.

Donna Maria Coles Johnson
    Indie Business Media

http://www.indiebusinessblog.com

dMCJ12/27/2007 1:48 PM
  • Options

Dale, This is my first post here and from the prior posts on this thread, I feel like I may be going out on a limb. Please don`t smack my hand if I am just another person who doesn`t get your question. With or without Google, an integral key to business success is branding and consistent messaging. If a company has been strategic, intentional and consistent in its branding and messaging, while a Google-less world would be an adjustment, it would not necessarily spell the end of a business.  Donna Maria Coles JohnsonIndie Business Mediahttp://www.indiebusinessblog.com
       Donna, first of all, welcome to the forum!  Second, I agree with you 100%. If a business has "all of its ducks in a row" so to speak, it can survive a Google collapse, as well as a Microsoft collapse.  Again, welcome to the forum, and thank you for your contribution!  Dale King
  • Options
    reaprreapr subscriber Posts: 1
    I don`t know why your so hung up on the Florida  update it was one of several in the last several years that has devastated business online.
    Remember the day when you could sit in the top 5 positions for good keywords and phrases over several updates with little effort! Why these harsh updates?  To get real players to turn to PPC?  Once I came to that conclusion and focused on improving my SEO skills the more traffic.
    On thing I have done is create several websites or pages with different SEO techniques. 
    It is interesting to see updates as they come along now.  One site goes down the other up in rank.  One search engine loves one site one quarter then next another.

Yah, I just assumed "Florida" meant some weather shutdown or catastrophe. If not, then I have no idea what happened to Florida.
      Nothing happened to Florida. "Florida" is the name of  a particularly nasty Google algorithm change that occurred back in November, 2003, in which thousands of high-ranking websites, speciallly optimized to rank high in Google`s search results suddenly had their rankings lowered significantly - or worse yet - disappeared from Google`s search results altogether. Thousands of businesses were affected. Literally overnight, they suddenly had no website ranking and no traffic. Because they had put all of their eggs into one basket and had no contigency plan, many of those businesses never recovered and eventually went out of business. http://www.zeromillion.com/webmarketing ... pdate.html http://www.seotoday.com/browse.php/cate ... /index.php That`s why it`s a mistake to depend too heavily on Google or any advertising medium. You have to be smart and diversify your marketing efforts, because anything can happen! Dale King
  • Options
    KimPaluchKimPaluch subscriber Posts: 0
    This question is...odd. Are you asking about just google or about all search engines? If google ceased to exist, then the other search engines would pick up the slack. We have submitted our information to other search engines as well and that would be plenty. Other than that, the obvious...using social networking to create some awareness of our business and our company. (We have barely started marketing our company as it is young and we are starting with local awareness first.) Also connecting with local businesses, creating a presence on the web and in our area is vital. Google isn`t the be all and end all of search engines, though. So I`m not so sure Google is the question.

We don`t have a contingency plan for a world without google, though we did have the experience of explaining to our teen agers` friends what a google really is (1 with a hundred zeros).

Kim
    kim_paluch@new.rr.com
  • Options
    proactive1proactive1 subscriber Posts: 1
    It`s a simple enough question, Dale and I`ll be glad to accomodate you. The answer is yes. How? I have other online and offline strategies. Contingency plan? Yes, of course and they include print media, networking, list-building, contact management, directory submission, blogs, I could go on...

Note to startups: Put all your eggs in one basket and you`ll end up with egg on your face.

• Options
    Donmac17Donmac17 subscriber Posts: 0
    Direct mail campaigns to top-eschelon target prospects. They always work.
  • Options
    sureshgupta22sureshgupta22 subscriber Posts: 0
    The point of this thread was to get people to think about ways they can diversify their marketing sans Google. If I got just one person to do that, then this thread has served its purpose.