WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Are Squeeze Pages A New Method Of Cyber Extortion?

DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
edited September 2007 in Marketing
According to the dictionary, the definition of extort is: to obtain by coercion or intimidation. For example: "They squeezed the e-mail address out of the website visitor by threatening to deprive him of certain free information."
Some might call the aforementioned paragraph an overexaggeration. But in my opinion, squeeze pages are nothing more than a new method of cyber extortion. In fact, their very name implies as much. "Squeeze Pages." They`re designed to "squeeze" your name and e-mail address out of you.
I think businesses that use squeeze pages are exhibiting a blatant disrespect towards the very people they depend on for their livelihood.
For those of you who don`t know what a squeeze pages is, allow me to explain. A squeeze page is a single web page designed for the sole purpose of capturing opt-in e-mail addresses from people who visit that website.
Most websites have a front or home page that has various options and/or choices. However, when you arrive at a site that utilizes a "pure" squeeze page, you have only two options: either subscribe to be put on an e-mail list... or leave!
However, on other variations of squeeze pages, you are allowed to continue exploring the site without opting in. Well, whenever I come across one of those squeeze pages, that try to extort my e-mail address, I click away in an instant.
How do you feel about squeeze pages? Do you like them or dislike them?
Dale KingDKing2007-9-28 8:48:55

Comments

• starrhornestarrhorne subscriber Posts: 0
    You can`t be serious. So is my checkout page unethical because it tries to "squeeze" money out of people before they can have my product?
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    You can`t be serious. So is my checkout page unethical because it tries to "squeeze" money out of people before they can have my product?
    You`re talking about two entirely different things.
    Dale KingDKing2007-9-28 15:7:51
  • TexaderoTexadero subscriber Posts: 0
    Dale,A business needs to offer something of value in exchange for an email address. Pure squeeze pages like you describe are sneaky and I can only assume don`t generate high quality sales leads.A better option would be to offer so much value and information that potential customers gladly give you their email address. These people will be better qualified than someone who was tricked into giving up their email address and will surely turn into sales at a healthier rate.
  • JoeJustinJoeJustin subscriber Posts: 1
    Squeeze pages by the most part are usually the pages that either come up after you make a purchase or after you sign up for the freebie.  Normally this page tries to squeeze money from you because they usually already have your email address.  A lot of time even after you click the "no thanks" link, yet another page will come up offering you a "better" offer.  In my opinion these pages suck!  All the so called "Gurus" say they squeeze pages work and increase sales. I think it`s their way of justifying their so called squeeze pages.  Every one I speak too hates them as well.
    A business needs to offer something of value in exchange for an email address. Pure squeeze pages like you describe are sneaky and I can only assume don`t generate high quality sales leads.A better option would be to offer so much value and information that potential customers gladly give you their email address. These people will be better qualified than someone who was tricked into giving up their email address and will surely turn into sales at a healthier rate.
    Here, here! I couldn`t agree more. Just for the record Texadero and Joe, squeeze pages are really quite effective. I don`t agree with the use of  them, but they do work.
    Dale KingDKing2007-9-29 11:1:15
    Dale,Like I Said in my post.  I don`t believe that they are as effective as everyone states.  All I ever read is that they work.  You can go to any IM sales page and they give you screen shots of their latest earings, traffic, you names it. But never have I seen a case study that shows any kind of proof for the squeeze pages.  Nothing.  So when ever I hear someone say they work. You know what I am thinking.  Yeah right I have some ocean front property for sale in Arizona too.
    Dale, I don`t believe that they are as effective as everyone states.  All I ever read is that they work.  So when ever I hear someone say they work. You know what I am thinking.  Yeah right I have some ocean front property for sale in Arizona too.
    Joe, you`re entitled to your opinion, of course. But I`m good friends with several top Internet marketers. I`ve seen concrete proof that squeeze pages not only work, they work extremely well.
    Again, I don`t agree with the use of them, but that doesn`t change the fact that they do indeed work.DKing2007-9-29 11:48:19
    My opinion is that if they worked so well all the so called "gurus" or top IMers would be selling the heck out of squeeze page products showing us proof that they work so well.  "my opinion"  is still the same, all you HEAR is that they work.  
    My opinion is that if they worked so well all the so called "gurus" or top IMers would be selling the heck out of squeeze page products showing us proof that they work so well.  "my opinion"  is still the same, all you HEAR is that they work.  
    Like I said, you`re entitled to your opinion. However, a little common sense would tell you that the top marketers would have stopped using squeeze pages a long time ago, if they didn`t work - especially the marketers I know. Like me, they`re fanatical testers.
    Dale King
     DKing2007-9-29 17:56:23
    You might be right Dale.  With all the so called Gurus out there testing the heck out products.  Helping each other with JV`s Showing the world their earnings and how great their latest product is.If I recall correctly, I think it was John Carolton who last had a squeeze page product recently.  You know who he is right?  In case you don`t he`s one of the best known copyrights out there.  Well, that`s all I heard about that squeeze page product.  I didn`t get the regular  100`s of emails from the rest of the crew or all of his JV friends, like I did for rthe products prior and after the squeeze page product.  So yes, you are probably right with a little common sense, I would believe all the So called "gurus" of the internet and just take their word for it. Oh wait a minute, I think that`s called faith.  Believing in what is not seen.  Sorry my bad.
    I think it was John Carolton who last had a squeeze page product recently.  You know who he is right?  In case you don`t he`s one of the best known copyrights out there. 
    First of all, any marketer worth his or her salt has heard of John Carlton. Second, he is not a copyright. He is a world renowned "copywriter." I only emphasize that because the two words have entirely different meanings.  Third, I recently completed an amazing interview with John.
    However,  "Yee of little faith," I don`t expect you to take my word for it, so see for yourself:
    -Legendary-Copywriting-Guru-John-Carlton/Dale-King-Interview s-Legendary-Copywriting-Guru-John-Carlton.html
    Dale KingDKing2007-9-29 18:28:37
    Dale,I hope you have a wonderful weekend!  I have faith,but only in one who deserves it, not a bunch of so called "Internet Marketer/Gurus" or whatever they choose to call themselves.  We do agree that the squeeze pages suck!   We do agree that neither one of use like them.  Where we don`t agree whether or not they actually work as well as they are touted to be.Again have awonderful weekend!
    Dale, I hope you have a wonderful weekend! 
    Likewise, Joe.
    Dale King