WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Magic Pills, Leprechauns & Pixie Dust

DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
edited June 2007 in Marketing
It`s sad really, how many people come online looking for that proverbial "magic pill."
They want the "easy money," the "instant riches," "the fortune and fame." But they don`t want to work for it. Hey, has anybody seen a leprechaun and a pot of gold lately?
It`s that lure of easy money that makes people easy targets for the con artists and scammers. Oh yeah, they`re out there.
And if you`re looking for easy money and instant riches, they have virtual warehouses full of magic pills, leprechauns and pixie dust, they`ll gladly sell to you.
They seek out and exploit the gullible, and believe religiously in this truism by Phineas Taylor Barnum..."There`s a sucker born every minute!"
They have a time-tested formula, and it works like a charm. You respond to an ad that sounds "too good to be true." You know the ones that say, Make $100,000 in 30 days..." or I`ll make you a millionaire in one year, or pay you $10,000 for your trouble!"
And let`s not forget about the grandaddy of all scams, "The Nigerian Letter Scam."
You`ve seen the e-mails. Claiming to be Nigerian officials, "heirs" of former government honchos, con artists offer to transfer "millions of dollars" into your bank account in exchange for a small fee. If you respond to the initial offer, you may receive "official looking" documents. Typically, you`re then asked to provide blank letterhead and your bank account numbers, as well as some money to cover transaction and transfer costs and attorney`s fees.
You may even be encouraged to travel to Nigeria or a border country to complete the transaction. Sometimes, the fraudsters will produce trunks of dyed or stamped money to verify their claims. Inevitably, though, emergencies come up, requiring more of your money and delaying the "transfer" of funds to your account; in the end, there really isn`t "millions of dollars" for you to share, and the scam artist has vanished into the night with your money.
And scams aren`t only prevalent online either. Have you picked up one of those business opportunity magazines lately?
I`m not talking about first tier magazines like "Entrepreneur." I`m referring to the second tier magazines. The ones that contain 80 percent scam ads, 10 percent useful content and 10 percent legitimate business opportunities.
And how about that tv commercial where the lady claims to have made over 2 million dollars in the last 9 years working part-time from home. You know the commercial I`m talking about...123makemoney.com. Or is it 456getrich.com? Actually, the more I think about it, I`m pretty sure it`s 789freedom.com.
Oh, that`s right! The FTC just shut those sites down. Not to worry though, next week there will be a whole slew of new websites to take their place.
I often get e-mail from people inquiring about "legitimate" envelope stuffing companies. Sorry to burst your bubble people, but they don`t exist. They never did.
I want you to think about this for a second: Why would a legitimate company thousands of miles away want to pay you a dollar or more for each envelope you stuff, when they have high-tech mailing equipment that can stuff, seal and stamp thousands of envelopes per minute for a fraction of the cost?
And why do you have to pay a $39.95 application fee just for the priviledge of working for said company?
And why would a legitimate company have to advertise nationally for workers?
If a legitimate company really was paying a dollar or more for each envelope you stuffed, they wouldn`t have to spend money to advertise it nationally. They`d have thousands of people right in their own town lining up right outside their door.
Oh, I beg your pardon! It`s kind of difficult to line up outside a mail drop isn`t it?
In closing, forget about the magic pills, leprechauns and pixie dust. They exist only in fairy tales. If you truly want to make a fortune online, you`ll have to do it the old fashioned way.
You`ll have to earn it!
Dale KingDKing2007-6-13 17:57:26

Comments