WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

The Truth About Bum Marketing

DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
edited June 2007 in Marketing
One of the hottest marketing trends on the Internet  right now is something called "Bum Marketing."
Some guy named Travis Sago created the phrase Bum Marketing when he noticed that most of his best click-thru conversions came from extremely specialized keyword phrases and searches which have relatively low competition.
According to Sago, it was his wife Jeannie`s idea to name his program the Bum Marketing Method because she thinks  "it is so easy to do that they could literally take a bum off the street...take him to the public library...and have him earning cash within a week."
Those are her words not mine.
Anyway, the concept behind the program is to write articles targeted towards less popular keyword phrases and have those articles get picked up by the top search engines. Because the articles would be targeted toward less popular, less competitive keyword phrases, they would have a more realistic chance of ending up at or near the top of the search results, due to low competition.
Here are the three basic steps to Bum Marketing:1. Using Wordtracker, find a low-competition niche to target.
2. Write articles optimized around those low-competition targeted keyword phrases.3. Submit your articles to popular article directories and websites.Just for the record,  there is absolutely nothing new or revolutionary about Bum Marketing.
Bum Marketing is Article Marketing with a different skin - nothing more.
So does the method really work?
In a word...YES.
How do I know? Because I successfully use article marketing every single day.
Need proof?
This particular article is currently ranked #10 on Yahoo for the keyword phrase "Bum Marketing"out of over a million pages and #27 on Google for the same keyword phrase out of  over a million pages. That`s not too bad.
I have many other articles that rank in the top 5 on both Google and Yahoo.
And it`s true. If you write articles targeted towards less popular, less competitive keyword phrases and allow them to be freely published, your articles become viral, meaning your articles can actually spread like a virus and have the potential to be viewed by hundreds of thousands of Internet users.
In addition,  if you write quality content, you can expect to get backlinks from many high-profile websites, thereby increasing your PR (Page Rank) and traffic as well.
There`s also another important  by-product of article marketing: Credibility.
Other than testimonials from well known expert marketers, writing articles is the quickest way to establish credibility online.
If you write good, quality content, not only will your articles get published regularly, but they will also brand you as an expert in your field, which will instantly enhance your reputation and bottom line tremendously.
Don`t know how to write? No problem. Hire an affordable ghostwriter over at elance.com.
There is a caveat to article marketing, however. 
It`s hard work. In order for it to be effective, you have to write lots and lots of quality articles. Quality is the key,  because no one wants to read garbage.
If you develop a reputation for writing quality articles, webmasters will seek out your content to publish on their sites, and you will develop a loyal following of readers as well.
Anyway, the more articles you write...the more quality backlinks you`ll acquire...the more traffic you`ll generate.
In closing, I can tell you from personal experience that article marketing is extremely effective, if you treat it seriously. But it is not something to be undertaken, unless you are 100 percent committed to it.
Dale King

Comments