WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Use A Press Release To Unleash A Flood Of Sales

DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
edited June 2007 in Marketing
If you`ve never used a press release to promote your business, you`re missing out on one of the most potent sales generators of all time.
Press releases work because they bring  a news slant to your marketing campaign, and people pay attention to interesting news items - the key word being "interesting."
You should write your press release using the same powerful elements that you would use when writing your ads or salesletters.
Those elements are known as AIDA.
AIDA is an acronym for Attention, Interest, Desire, Action.
It`s a traditional model of the purpose and flow of marketing communications and direct sales efforts.How important is AIDA?This important: You simply CANNOT write an effective press release without it.I`m going to break down and explain each letter in AIDA, so that you can understand the full import of the formula:A= ATTENTION: The very first thing your press release MUST do is get the readers "ATTENTION". The way to do that is with an effective headline. So, what`s an effective headline? An effective headline is any headline that answers the question: "What`s in it for me?" That`s all the reader really cares about. What`s in it for him or her?The idea of  a press release is not to try to tell your whole story in your headline. The idea is to first get the readers attention, skillfully pull them in, and let your press release do the selling.An effective headline is also targeted to a particular niche, like the headline of this thread, "Use A Press Release To Unleash A Flood Of  Sales."I`m targeting SuN members who are interested in learning how to promote their businesses with press releases.So what makes the headline of this thread so effective?It got your attention, pulled you in and made you read this post.Can`t get anymore effective than that.I= INTEREST: After you get the readers attention, next you want to get them "INTERESTED" in your product or service. You do that by immediately delivering what your headline promises. Don`t try to be cute, and don`t string your readers along. For example, did you notice how I got right into telling you about," Using A Press Release To Unleash A Flood Of Sales?"D= DESIRE: You have to make the reader "DESIRE" your product or service. The goal you are trying to achieve with this step of the AIDA formula is build value and excitement  in the readers mind. And the way to do that is with benefits, benefits and more benefits!Many marketers mistake features for benefits. There`s a huge difference. Features are characteristics that physically describe your product or service. Benefits describe how your product or service will help the reader solve his or her problem. In other words, what the reader will gain by using the product or service. Following are a few example of features and benefits: A feature is that "illuminated digital clock" you have in your car. A benefit is that clock allows you to see what time it is at night. A feature is a "high resolution computer monitor." A benefit is that computer monitor gives you a sharper image and is easier on the eyes. A feature is your new recliner has "reinforced lumbar support." A benefit is that recliner is comfortable and will help support your lower back. A feature is GPS (Global Positioning System). A benefit is a GPS will prevent you from getting lost.A feature is the room service that your hotel provides. A benefit is that room service allows you to eat in the comfort and privacy of your own room at your convenience. A feature is "Lojack." A benefit is Lojack will help police find your car, if it gets stolen. A= ACTION: You want to close your press release with a call to action. Tell the reader in no uncertain terms what you want him or her to do. For example: Call NOW...e-mail us for more information...Visit our website TODAY to order.
After your press release is written, you can distribute it using a press release distribution service like PRWeb or Mass Media Distribution Services.They also have samples of press releases you can use to help you write your own press release.
Or you can contact me. I also have a PR distribution service.Dale King

DKing2007-7-12 9:26:54

Comments

• Options
    InactiveMemberInactiveMember subscriber Posts: 12
    A lot of these articles - especially this one - are rehashes. This post is full of faulty logic, and, worse, it makes a promise based on a lot of assumptions. If a carefully written press release were indeed the key to "unleashing" a "flood" of sales then I`m quite sure it would be the tactic of choice. Furthermore, were this tactic as effective as you say, it would of course be the number one choice of salesmen world wide. But as things stand, a press release, even if well written, is not likely to "unleash" a "flood" of sales unless other key elements of the business are carefully considered. Interestingly, this post highlights a very common problem with press releases: over promising and under delivering.Your series of posts shows really deep contempt for consumers.
  • Options
    patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    I doubled my sales with the following method:
    c = cookies.  I ate two girl scout thin mints.r = refreshment.  I rested and took a drink of water - large drink.a= asthma treatment.  I took a puff of my inhaler.p = pulmonary treatment.  I took another puff of my inhaler.
  • Options
    bertbert subscriber Posts: 12
    If you believe a flood of sales will come from doing a press release, you also believe a hammer is all you need to build a house.  Press releases are just a tool.  Successful businesses use them as part of a bigger plan.  They are important but not the secret answer to success.  Just try to build a house without a hammer.  Press releases have been around for a long time and there are a ton of great books and web sites that will help you do them right.  My advice is to use these sources and use press releases as part of a comprehensive plan.
  • Options
    bertbert subscriber Posts: 12
    Good list and article Nikole!  http://www.press-release-writing.com</A> is a good service too.  They will even edit and help you write it when you are just getting started.  Just be careful of using too many services simultaneously.  You can actually be black listed for sending too many of the same press releases out through one or more services.  Do not send several press releases just slightly reworded either, they will know.  We recently used two services with different places they sent the releases for a single press release.  We were published in over 50 publications in less than a week.  If you have interesting copy, and do it right, it can be a great tool.  Just remember it is only one tool to get the job done.