StartupNation is excited to announce the launch of its brand new Business Services! If your business needs help with logo design, copywriting, website development, incorporation and more, please check out our Business Services page and contact us today.

How to end an LLC

IdrisIdris Posts: 2subscriber
edited August 2009 in Watercooler Talk
Hi folks,I have had the pleasure of having my first startup failure.  Whoo Hoo!I learned a lot and am moving on the next effort, but before I do I need to end the LLC I started with my partner. The LLC is in Illinois, and there is a $250 annual fee for continuing to exist.  Can I simply not pay this fee to end the LLC, or is there some form or something I need to submit.  I hope I don`t need to pay any money to do this, cause that would be kind of ridiculous to have to pay a fee to end a company.Anyway, thanks for your help in advance.

Comments

• IdrisIdris Posts: 2subscriber
    Thanks for your response.What is the legal difference between filing the Articles of Dissolution and letting the filing expire by not filing the annual report?
  • URVAURVA Posts: 1subscriber
    From reading the Articles, I would say that it protects all parties against future law suites.

May I ask what was the business? 

What is your new endeavor?

Just curious.
    I just sent in the dissolution forms because I figured that the State of Illinois would just continue to bill me the annual payment requirements plus late fees until I actually did.My first business and website is up at seeingfinance.com.  I realized quickly that it fell more into the bucket of cool website than actual business.  But I learned some good things from it, including that you need to pay money to end a business as well as register it in the first place.Now I am in California and am starting a laundry delivery service geared toward the college community in my hometown.Starting an LLC in CA is extremely expensive ($800), so I`m looking for other states to get limited liability protection.  I`ll do that once the business is up and running.Thanks for your answers and question.