WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

What terms can I expect from a small biz loan?

rinkratrinkrat subscriber Posts: 1
edited February 2009 in Startup Funding
I am trying to put together some rough numbers to judge the fair purchase price of a business we are interested in. We have excellent personal credit and the business would have about $37,000 worth of FF&E for collateral.
My question is, what kind of terms could I expect for a $200,000 loan under these circumstances? Is 7% interest too high? How many years is typical? Any fees?I just need a rough idea to run the numbers.Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    MattThomasMattThomas subscriber Posts: 2
    7% interest is probably about right, since Fed Funds and prime is down right now. In early 2008, 11%+ would have been roughly the rate you would be looking at.
    The term length of the loan will vary, and you might even have options as to how long you have to pay it off: 2, 5, 10 years, etc... This may affect the interest rate and the longer the term, the higher the rate. So, instead of figuring on what is typical, try to figure on what payments you can afford, and consider what the term would be from there.
    A fee for a business loan is generally standard, for lines of credit they normally go for about $100 dollars per year. This might be different for your bank or for a business loan.
    I`m not sure about the history you have with this bank, but chances are you will have to sign a personal guarantee for the loan. 
    Hope this helped. Good luck!
  • Options
    robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    For planning purposes - use 25% down. 7.5% interest, and unless there is Real estate involved  7 years duration. For a $200,00 loan your monthly payment si $3067
  • Options
    equsionequsion subscriber Posts: 1
    RinkRat   I can get you set up with a list of different investors or lenders in your area if you would like.  shoot me a pm and I will help ya out.