WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Check This Out - How To Find a Niche Market!

iyazamiyazam subscriber Posts: 33
edited October 2008 in Selecting a Business
Here is some great advice someone shared with me the other day:

Many aspiring entrepreneurs who want to launch a business are usually faced with the dilemma – what is the right business for me ?

Here is a great tactic that can help you find a niche market and the right business for you:

Go to:   http://www.amazon.com/

On your left you will see that it says “Shop All Departments”

Click on the first option where it says books and then a small white box will open up – scroll down and click where it says: Magazines & Newspapers.

1] On your left you will see that it says: “Browse Magazines”

2] Scroll down and it will say: Categories

3] Click on any topic that interests you

4] Let’s just say I just clicked on the first one Antiques & Collectibles

5] A new page will open up – look over to the right side of that page.

6] You will see over there: Bestsellers in Antiques & Collectibles Magazines

By browsing through the bestseller section you will get an idea of what’s hot on the market, aka: what are people interested in. This tactic can help you define your niche market within your area of interest.

Comments

• Options
    cdbartworkcdbartwork subscriber Posts: 11
    Thank you, I will definitely go through the steps.
  • Options
    WebJunkyWebJunky subscriber Posts: 8 Member
    very nice and creative way to go about it.  i would only be concerned about seasonal demand and one hit wonders (i..e the tickle me elmo) otherwise i think the idea is great for starters.  now you will also find particular brands sell more than others in the same product category - which means the brand is doing something right (marketing, ads, customer service etc).  this is particularly helpful if you already have a niche/product in mind.  what you can do is research the best selling brand and see what they are doing right...how does their website look? what are their service promises? what are customers saying about them etc.  great post overall, a lot to be learned...

good luck to all