WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

How Fast Do You Respond To Emails?

2»

Comments

• Options
    MyMarketEASEMyMarketEASE subscriber Posts: 1
    Loren,
    I couldn`t have said it any better.
  • Options
    DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
    Some folks here haven`t read "The 4 Hour Workweek" I think.
    It`s poor positioning to act as servant to your customers.  If you
    are a busy professional serving clients at a high level your clients
    should be trained to wait - time management is important to everybody
    but if you train them to expect instant responses when it isn`t
    something you can deal with in a couple of minutes is generally
    bad policy and will have you fighting with clients later when your
    success increases and your older clients still expect you to be
    at their beck-and-call.

I couldn`t disagree more! Just because somebody writes something in a book doesn`t mean we all have to accept it as gospel like you do. I have a mind of my own, and I do what works best for me. And my customers aren`t pets that need to be trained. If they e-mail me, I`m not letting them wait. My customers are my top priority, because they pay my bills.

Make your customers wait? What a ridiculous premise! Go ahead, make your customers wait. Eventually, someone will steal them away from you!

David Jackson
    DavidJackson4/15/2009 10:58 AM
  • Options
    Perhaps "conditioning" may be another way to convey what Loren was saying.  It is by no means meant to demean our customers.  But whether you realize it or not, you are conditioning your customers every day by the way you communicate with them.

There is an important distinction to be made between ignoring your customers, and establishing proper expectations.  If you set an unrealistic expectation for your customer base, or set expectations based on where you are now and not where you expect to be, you will be doing them a grave disservice.  Consistency in customer service is as important as how you respond.
    However, if you are able to respond quickly and at all hours then by all means do so.  Just be aware that as your business grows even more successful, your long-term customers will expect (and deserve) the treatment they`ve always received.
  • Options
    DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
    Perhaps "conditioning" may be another way to convey what Loren was saying.  There is an important distinction to be made between ignoring your customers, and establishing proper expectations.  If you set an unrealistic expectation for your customer base, or set expectations based on where you are now and not where you expect to be, you will be doing them a grave disservice.  Consistency in customer service is as important as how you respond.
    However, if you are able to respond quickly and at all hours then by all means do so.      Okay, this makes a lot more sense to me. Very well articulated, Melissa.  David JacksonDavidJackson4/15/2009 11:27 AM
  • Options
  • Options
    SewingPatternsSewingPatterns subscriber Posts: 1
    I think my question is related to this topic.  I sometimes have customers that place orders on Friday evening and then by Tuesday/Wednesday  are sending me emails (a couple) within a few hours span regarding their order status and why they haven`t received it yet.  I sometimes I don`t know what to say since there isn`t much to say at all especially when the order was sent on the next business day via regular post (customer`s choice).  I think my question is, what do I tell a customer that emails TOO much regarding their order? I don`t believe in ignoring, but at some point I`m just repeating myself.  HELP!
  • Options
    mommyceomommyceo subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi Margot-
    I think your customers are telling you something, and you should listen. They want more information -- even if it is only to tell them that the order has been sent out. I assume I will get:
    1. Order receipt
    2. Shipping notification with expected delivery date
    What you need is an efficient email management tool. Check out www.emailcenterpro.com
    Remember - the customer has paid you money, and they are simply asking for some confirmations that everything is ok. You know it is ok -- so tell them. People all have different expectation about ordering online -- which is part of the problem.
    Recently I ordered from Crate and Barrel. It took them 4 business days to even process the order, and 5 business days to ship it out. In my opinion -- that is just not acceptable.
  • Options
    SewingPatternsSewingPatterns subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi MommyCeo,

Thanks for your response.  My customers get immediate order confirmations after their order is placed.  Shipping notifications are sent as well.  Some customers are very anxious which I understand.  Also, our policy is we do not charge their credit card until their order is actually shipped.

I understand what you`re saying about Crate and Barrel.  They`re a big company and you expect a quick turn around, but when you`re dealing with a smaller company, sometimes delays will occur.  (which are relayed to the customer)

I think the bottom line is as long as you COMMUNICATE with your customers, they`ll be returning for your services.

SewingPatterns4/20/2009 1:35 PM