WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Are You Wasting Your Time On Twitter?

13»

Comments

• Options
    DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
    Hey, Chuck! How`s HubPages working out for you? I received an e-mail alert that you had become a fan of mine. Thank you!

I haven`t posted a new hub in a while, because I`ve been busy with other projects. On top of that, I`m in the process of getting ready to launch a new website.

Good seeing you in the forum again.

David Jackson
    DavidJackson4/10/2009 6:15 PM
  • Options
    proactive1proactive1 subscriber Posts: 1

Hey, Chuck! How`s HubPages working out for you? I received an e-mail alert that you had become a fan of mine. Thank you!  I haven`t posted a new hub in a while, because I`ve been busy with other projects. On top of that, I`m in the process of getting ready to launch a new website.  Good seeing you in the forum again. David Jackson
     David,  Likewise, good to see you on the forum and you`re welcome. What is it they say? "Busy people get things done." So good luck on the new site launch. Knowing you it should be a winner. HubPages is on my to-do list and am planning on using it to promote another project separate from my Squidoo pages. You`ll see it take form later this month after I attend a Perry Marshall seminar in Chicago on the 21st. Will more than likely Twitter it as well
  • Options
    David,
     Likewise, good to see you on the forum and you`re welcome. What is it they say? "Busy people get things done." So good luck on the new site launch. Knowing you it should be a winner.     Thanks, Chuck! I appreciate you saying that. You`ll get a lot of value from the Perry Marshall seminar. Perry really knows his stuff. Especially when it comes to Adwords. See you around the forum!  David Jackson
  • Options
    Just came across this article on WebProNews -- Using Twitter For Link Building ... http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2009/ ... k-building 
  • Options
    Just came across this article on WebProNews -- Using Twitter For Link Building...

Chuck, I`m not a huge fan of Twitter for a variety of reasons. But you`re someone whom I respect as an entrepreneur. So, just out of curiosity, how long have you used Twitter, and what has been your experience with it? Also, what do you like about it? Dislike?

David Jackson
    DavidJackson4/11/2009 4:55 PM
  • Options
    David,

Thanks for the acknowledgement. I appreciate that. I certainly can understand your scepticism because anyone can plainly see that some folks get carried away with it. I mean, who really cares "what I`m doing right now" unless of course, the blurbs have some meaningful purpose to those who might choose to follow me and vice versa. 

For example, I`d be interested in what you have to say about perhaps a "marketing tip of the week" and I bet your followers would even look forward to that. More importantly, you`re providing a link back to your website or blog (in your profile) or, a link back to some other web property of yours -- Your HubPages for instance. So now Twitter becomes much more than "what am I doing", it becomes a link-building strategy and that`s what I like most about it.

Also, here`s the thing; when publications like BusinessWeek strarts explaining to their readers how to use Twitter, I believe entrepreneurs might want to pay attention to that. Besides, you can`t deny, it`s what`s hot right now and you may just find a whole new audience. 

How long have I been using Twitter? Just a few weeks. By the way, I`m at http://twitter.com/optionzone and have 29 followers. Let`s just say I`m in a testing phase right now. Dislikes? Well, the name "Twitter" I thought was strange at the beginning, but so are words like Google. Sooner or later as immensely popular as they are, the words become a part of the language.

So common, David, I challenge you set up a Twitter account! Tell you what; I`ll be your first follower. How`s that? 
  • Options
    Thanks for the insight, Chuck! I had lunch with a good friend of mine from Maryland this afternoon. He`s been bugging me about joining Twitter for a while now, and I`ve always told him that I had no interest in Twitter.

But today, he did something different. Instead of telling me why I should join Twitter, he showed me. He showed me real facts and figures of what Twitter has meant to his business. He showed me before and after numbers, and I have to admit I was impressed. That was the first time anyone had shown me actual numbers. And being a true entrepreneur, I can relate to numbers.

Here`s the problem. There are only so many hours in a day, and my plate is actually quite full. I`m already blogging, consulting, article marketing, affiliate marketing, participating on several forums, Hubbing, Digging and ghostwriting. And that doesn`t even include the numerous requests I get to guest blog, or volunteer my expertise on question and answer sites.

On top of all that, I`m getting ready to launch a new website. And you know me, Chuck. I`m big on content. So, obviously my new website is going to have lots and lots of quality content before I put it online. And who do you think is going to create all that content? That`s right, me.

That means in order to squeeze Twitter into my daily schedule, I would have to drop one of those other marketing methods that are very, very profitable for me that I`ve cultivated over time. I`m not going to do that. For example, approximately half of my sales originate from forums like this one, and article marketing. I`d be crazy to screw around with my bread and butter marketing techniques.

Chuck, I understand what you`re saying, and I actually agree with you about Twitter to a point. But it just doesn`t make good business sense for me to drop marketing methods that are producing good income for me in order to test Twitter - which even in a best case scenario is going to take time to build up.

Can you see things from my point of view? Perhaps, if one of my other marketing methods were to fall off a bit, I might consider giving Twitter a shot. But other than that, no.

David Jackson
    DavidJackson4/12/2009 5:55 PM
  • Options
    I`d be interested in what you have to say about perhaps a "marketing tip of the week" and I bet your followers would even look forward to that.

Chuck, this is an excellent point! However, I already offer marketing tips on my blog, and I give my readers the option of subscribing to my marketing tips via Twitter. So, I already have that avenue covered.

David Jackson
    DavidJackson4/12/2009 9:04 AM
  • Options
    David Jackson, can`t wait to see you on twitter.  Sounds like you`re being convinced about that opportunity to tweet for your business! 

On the contrary, Jane. I`m only convinced that I was wrong about the marketing potential of Twitter.

However, as I told Chuck, in order to squeeze Twitter into my daily schedule I would have to drop other marketing methods that are very profitable for me - methods that I`ve painstakingly cultivated over time. That doesn`t make good business sense to me. I`m not going to do that.

Perhaps, if one of my other marketing methods were to fall off a bit, I might consider giving Twitter a shot. But other than that, no.

David Jackson
    DavidJackson4/12/2009 7:06 PM
  • Options

David:  As you know, I`ve built some Squidoo pages and something that helps me leverage is the fact that when I publish a page, their system gives me an option to update Twitter automatically -- No extra time spent updating Twitter and I get the benefit of a link-back. If your HubPages have that capability, that`s one way to overcome your objection of time.

Janie:  I`m following you on Twitter.
  • Options

David:  As you know, I`ve built some Squidoo pages and something that helps me leverage is the fact that when I publish a page, their system gives me an option to update Twitter automatically -- No extra time spent updating Twitter and I get the benefit of a link-back. If your HubPages have that capability, that`s one way to overcome your objection of time.      You`re missing the point, Chuck. I do not have the time to use Twitter in a way that would benefit me, without dropping a profit stream. My friend told me he had to spend a lot of time cultivating contacts on Twitter before it paid off big time for him.  Again, I would have to drop a proven profit stream to effectively use Twitter. I`m not going to do that.  By the way, Chuck, do you have a newsletter subscriber list? If so, I`d appreciate it if you would post your thoughts about my latest article,  "Why You Need a Subscriber List to Grow Your Business." Sort of help me jumpstart that thread. Thanks! David JacksonDavidJackson4/13/2009 2:17 PM
  • Options
    David -- Yes, I`ve used both iContact and Constant Contact in the past; both great services. Presently, I`m using a FeedBurner email subscriber tool.
  • Options
    David -- Yes, I`ve used both iContact and Constant Contact in the past; both great services. Presently, I`m using a FeedBurner email subscriber tool.

Chuck, I wanted you to post a comment on that thread  about the importance of building a good subscriber list, if you have one. I`m trying to jumpstart that thread not this one. Then again, it might be a moot point. Maybe no one here besides me has a good subscriber list.

David Jackson
    DavidJackson4/14/2009 7:58 AM