WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Are You Wasting Your Time On Twitter?

Comments

• Options
    johnpatricjohnpatric subscriber Posts: 1
    I still cant understand how twitter helps to boost traffic. can someone explain it? thank you!
  • Options
    dnparkerdnparker subscriber Posts: 9 Member
    My Twitter success formula:
    Twitter Online must equal face-to-face (F2F) Meetings Offline and/or additional exchanges off Twitter (email, phone, etc).  Without this your use of the site can be very much just a waste of time.  Perhaps its better to think of Twitter as the commonality so often sought in first conversations with someone new.  Maybe a better name would be "Icebreaker".  It is not a passive tool, its a social party.  Passive tools at social parties are, well, undesired.
    The best solution for time?  Just be yourself.  Some days you can dive in a spend a few hours, other times it might be days between posts.  Most folks directly translate gaps in my posts as being busy which is exactly true.  But the cool thing is that they notice.
    In some of my F2F meetings with folks I`ve met on Twitter, we see parallels to the ramp up of website technology and use in the mid-90s.  First the geeks/uber users, then corporate, then the rest of the world.  Its happening at a much faster pace simply because of the difference in Internet access penetration now versus then. 
    The search engines are becoming the card catalogs of the web and Twitter has become the "heard it from a friend" referral network.  As gateways, search engines are losing ground with advanced users.  Twitter doesn`t just answer to demand like search, it can create demand.  As it grows, maybe "Wildfire" is a better name.
    Twitter in the future is completely different than what you see today.  One would be wise to watch the tools as they roll by.  Many will be trash, but a few will be keepers.  As an example consider CoTweet.com which let`s you assign out roles to a single Twitter account so a firm can manage not only posting but responding to requests and needs of their followers (typically clients).
    I am always a mid-level adopter.  You`ll never see me on the front of a trend and I seldom find it after its already past.  The trend must be vetted first.  Twitter is past the front of the trend and is fully into the adoption and growth cycle you typically see mid-level.  You are missing an opportunity if you don`t seek to understand it.dnparker4/1/2009 5:16 AM
  • Options
    beadedjewelsbeadedjewels subscriber Posts: 0
    I agree with all of the above. Building your business is hard enough and takes a lot of time. I check my twitter twice a day if someone new is following or if I got a direct message. I am always polite thank them for the follow, reply to direct messages and yadayada. So far I got a couple hits form twitter on my website but they were just that ...hits.

Or though I have to disagree with some of you about the social networks. This can be a great marketing tool. Like this network http://homepreneurs.ning.com was a catapult to my business. I not only learn alot there, but get to use what I learn. Like online sales vendor parties. this is something that was totally new to me, but it is now a means to make money for me online with my website.

There is a lot of oppertunities out there, and they all take time away, but sometimes it`s worth  investing the time and taking the chance. I do agree that twitter is not worth taking that much time, but it should not be ignored either.
    beadedjewels4/1/2009 10:23 AM
  • Options
    iyazamiyazam subscriber Posts: 33
    Here is how I Use Twitter :
    When I create an article on my site iyazam.com - I then take that article and post it on my Facebook (in the link section and sometimes on my status) Then I head on over to my Twitter status and post it there and then on my Linkedin status.
    Later on maybe an hour later, I will check Twitter to see if anyone responded to my posting or if someone did a "Re-Tweat.". If someone asked a question - I`ll answer etc If someone Re Tweated I will thank them....Then I`ll zip through the latest statuses and If I see something interesting - I`ll `RT` as well (its good to be social)...  This all takes about 5-10 minutes.
    Then I will come back later on in the afternoon and maybe join in some discussion or say hello to people for about 15 minutes.
    If you spend to much time on Twitter you give off the impression that you are not really busy and thats not good. People like to do business with busy people.Hope this helps !  
  • Options
    BrandonUttleyBrandonUttley subscriber Posts: 0
    There are some very good points in this discussion, one of the main ones being: Twitter takes time. By that I mean, time to learn, understand and appreciate what it can do; time to build up credibility and followers; time to share information; and time to read and filter through an endless stream of tweets.
    It can all be a little overwhelming, especially in the beginning. I encourage people not to give up too quickly. I have written a free e-book called This Is Your Brain On Twitter that I hope will help more people understand some of the powerful ways to put Twitter to good use, particularly for start-ups.http://www.webbusinessfreedom.com/2009/ ... ree-e-bookBrandonUttley4/1/2009 2:03 PM
  • Options
    DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
    I use twitter.  I don`t like twitter.  I find it annoying.

If you find it annoying, stop doing it. Really, no trend is worth being aggravated. Twitter is just another tool. You should only use tools that you actually enjoy using. That`s what I do. There are plenty of other tools you can use that give you enjoyment. Focus on those instead.

David Jackson
  • Options
    chrisdavischrisdavis subscriber Posts: 0
    How would you effectively use Twitter and other medias?
  • Options
    GueroGuero subscriber Posts: 0
    great conversation.  Part of my marketing research business is focused on social media.  The use of social media can be tremendous, but it can wholly depend on your type of business, i.e. b2b, consumer, etc.  The use of the media can quickly become an avenue for people looking for jobs as well.  Anyhow, people shouldn`t focus merely on one medium versus another.  The use of Facebook, Youtube, Myspace, Twitter, Linkedin, Live Journal, etc., should be considered regarding the target segments that are active on each network as well as integrating the networks (there are sites that outline the community demos and activity).  There are also other networks in the works that may be even more applicable than what`s currently out there.  Good luck!
  • Options
    I think the discussion now has taken us to a whole new topic and that is: "Social Media Time Management" 
    One of the questions that I have been asking myself lately:  Is social media causing all of these problems with the economy?
    What I mean by that is - we know that millions of people go to work every day and ...yes.. they spend lots of time on social networks instead of actual working.  What happens? People are not productive, when they are not productive - they do not bring in results.
    Today I stopped by an old friend at his office. As I stepped into his office he was watching a Youtube video, laughing and having a good time.  Then we started talking , how are things.. yada yada.. and he said: "Man, business has been slow lately... Its hard to get clients..." I said to him: "of course its hard because you are watching Youtube videos!"
    What struck me was the fact that here is a guy in a small office. His boss was sitting just a few feet away and didnt even say anything. I was thinking - how many other employees around the world at this moment are watching Youtube videos instead of working?
    On many levels Social Media has consumed our time with a lots of nonsense. We think that its helping our business grow. We think that the more we are "active" the more business we will get. 
    Yesterday I went to a business networking event in Jerusalem. I was the youngest guy there (29 years old) Everyone else was much older then me. It was interesting  to see that they could care less about Facebook or anything else and they were doing things the `old way` and closing business with one another, giving refferals etc..
    As they say "Oldies but goodies!"
  • Options
    atprincessatprincess subscriber Posts: 0
    I have definitely found that Twitter can be an additional source of customers, but it may depend on your type of  business.  Use tools like wefollow, twellow, and twibs to find people or businesses with keywords you want to target.  I carry out conversations on Twitter 3 times a day.  Think of Twitter as the same as attending a tradeshow or convention; it`s mostly about conversations and viewing products (in this case links), but it`s important to use tools like I mentioned in order to find your target customers and follow them.
    You can also use tools like TweetBeep to send you alerts of specific keywords that you target or for your company name.  Recently, I Tweeted about needing help with CSS for my website and was surprised at the lack of response.  Twitter has like 6 or 7 million people.  You can find new customers among them, you just have to be smart about how you do it.http://twitter.com/Telephluxhttp://twitter.com/kelleymitchell
  • Options
    Anyway, Twitter was discussed and dismissed by everyone in the room as a waste of time. The interesting note in this story is that the most profitable businesses in this complex were run by people who DID NOT REGULARLY USE SOCIAL MEDIA. The ones LOSING money were all run by people addicted to social media. So, I guess that answers this question!

I`m not surprised in the least. It`s absolutely amazing! People get caught up these trends, and lose their minds!

David Jackson
  • Options
    I sometimes wonder if in a few years everyone will be so sick of social networking sites - that we will all go back to the `old way` of doing business.
    Back in the good old days my Grandfather had a printing business. I once asked him the very basic question: How did you attract customers? You had no internet back in the days!
    His answer was very simple: They focused on creating real person to person / face to face relationships with their clients.  Once a month he would rent out a small hall in a hotel and invite local businesses to come and hear a presentation about his printing business. He would offer coffee and cake as well. He said that many times what got him the business was not the presentation but the coffee and cake. Something so simple yet so huge.
    This is what we are lacking today. The personal relationship with our potential clients  or target market. At the end of the day: Twitter, Facebook or any other social network are not subs for what we really need in business.
  • Options
    I sometimes wonder if in a few years everyone will be so sick of social networking sites - that we will all go back to the `old way` of doing business.
    This is what we are lacking today. The personal relationship with our potential clients  or target market. At the end of the day: Twitter, Facebook or any other social network are not subs for what we really need in business.

Here, here!

David Jackson
  • Options
    vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    His answer was very simple: They focused on creating real person to person / face to face relationships with their clients.  Once a month he would rent out a small hall in a hotel and invite local businesses to come and hear a presentation about his printing business. He would offer coffee and cake as well. He said that many times what got him the business was not the presentation but the coffee and cake. Something so simple yet so huge.

The social networking sites are essentially a substitute for one-to-one personal face to face interaction. True, it`s not the same or as good as meeting the person (well, maybe sometimes it`s better than actually meeting the person) but social networking site do offer opportunities to "meet" potential customers and forge business relationship otherwise not possible.

The old days method still works for local marketing. However, the market has changed... there are fewer old guys (like me) that remember the good old days and more people that live on the internet (and "3G network) - that is, use it for many of their transactions and interactions.

~Roland

• Options
    proactive1proactive1 subscriber Posts: 1
    Roland,
    Regarding the use of Twitter, like you, I believe there exists a possiblity that if used properly, Twitter can be a way to extend our reach as marketers. I`d also like to point to some numbers that could influence start-ups whether or not to get involved. For example, ComScore says that of its 10 million users, the 45-54 demographic is the highest indexing age group--also reference this Reuters article. That`s enough leverage for me to consider Twitter as an angle; especially towards certain segmernts.