WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Is Twitter Any Good For Business?

iyazamiyazam subscriber Posts: 33
edited October 2008 in Marketing
Is updating your status any good for business?  Or is it just a cute thing to do during the day?

I would like to hear what others have to say about Twitter!

Hillel

http://twitter.com/Hillelp

Comments

• Options
    LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    As a result of my my updates, since joining Twitter three weeks ago today, I`ve had three new clients and two writers/reporters contact me directly.  Traffic to my blogs have nearly tripled in that three week period.  That translates into a worthwhile activity for me.http://twitter.com/LogoMotivesLogoMotives10/9/2008 2:28 PM
  • Options
    cubemonkeycubemonkey subscriber Posts: 11
    I`ve met a few local business friends from it and received a good deal of traffic. No complaints.
  • Options
    The question is: what are people updating in order to get new business?

I have found that updating my status with the new articles on my site brings in some nice traffic (depending if you have a big following on twitter).  Besides that, how can I utilize my status updates to get more business?  What should I be updating?

Thanks
  • Options
    I am trying to come up with a theory behind this whole `status` wave that is flooding the web and why so many of us professionals are using it.

I think in the world of social media, thats if you are involved in social media marketing and you are trying to get your business out there. In this world people (potential clients, customers etc.) want to know more about you, the person behind the business. Therefore updating your status gives your potential clients or customers an inside look into your life. For example if you update something like: "I am heading to meeting with a new client in 15 min.." - to some people out there this may be very important information. They want to know: are you busy? do you have other `gigs` going on? Are you getting business?

For example when I  see that someone is updating his status throughout the day with: meetings, speaking gigs etc.. this gives me a very clear picture about that person. They are busy, they have clients, they have action going on.

On the other hand - when I see a small business owner and his/her status reads:  " just woke up late, I need to start making some phone calls - hope to get some new clients today!..."    I then get a picture of a lazy business owner who just woke up, doesnt really have much action going on.

I guess twitter can be a great tool if we know how to effectivly use it.

• Options
    LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    I found that automatically updating the Twitter status on my Facebook page got a bit annoying - and sometimes didn`t get make sense at all grammatically so I stopped doing so.  However, I do have it automatically update on MySpace and elsewhere.
  • Options
  • Options
    ocbizchickocbizchick subscriber Posts: 0
    Great posts!

I just started using twitter about 2 weeks ago and I have seen the traffic increase to my blog.  So far I think it has been worthwhile and to see more results I think I need to post more often.

I too had the same questions baout what to post and I think your advice Brandon is a great place to start!  I also started following a couple who listed their twitters here ;0)

Here`s mine

http://twitter.com/wendiliechty

Wendi

Wendi Liechty
    The Casual Entrepreneurhttp://www.TheCasualEntrepreneur.com
  • Options
    davincivirtualdavincivirtual subscriber Posts: 1 Member
    I think the issue is how and what you share. And I find updating twitter to be a a much different thing than updating my FaceBook status. I rarely update my FB status, and instead use plugins to have my blogs and twitter automatically update there. I focus the majority of my budgeted update time on twitter. Posting helpful links, questions, connections, funny thoughts helps me connect quickly with other people in my network. Of course, that brings up the whole question of who is in your network...but I will save that for another time...
  • Options
    Ron38Ron38 subscriber Posts: 0
    Hello,
    Twitter is fairly new, invite family friends to promote your business. What are seeking to promote? Maybe I can help? Many people do not know about twitter yet, this is why you are probably not getting the publicity that you deserve.
    Try the big idea at cnbc.com or you can email Donny that help people with their struggling business ventures at Donny@cnbc.com Let me know how it goes, I watch this show Monday-Friday at 10:00 pm here in Washington, DC.
    Much success and I look forward to your response.
    Have a terrific day! Please, do not get discourage.
  • Options
    dominoesrulesdominoesrules subscriber Posts: 0
    I`ve met a few local business friends from it and received a good deal of traffic. No complaints.