WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

The "Word Of Mouth" Syndrome

essayhelpessayhelp subscriber Posts: 10
Mark Zuckerberg of facebook once said:

"People influence people. Nothing influences people more than are recommendation from a trusted friend. A trusted referral influences people more than the best broadcast message. A trusted referral is the Holy Grail of advertising."

This is what everyone wants. We all want the whole world talking about our business.

But lets face it - for most people this won`t happen.

Or maybe I am wrong.

What is your opinion? With websites being launched around the clock what are the chances of websites today becoming successful by "word of mouth"?

Comments

• vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Are there sites that are totally a success because of word of mouth - yes.
    Can a site benefit from word of mouth promotion/marketing - yes.

This has been debated on SUN before...  whether word of mouth / social networking sites
    can benefit every website. Social networking site are the "new word of mouth" advertising.

~Roland
    vwebworld3/6/2008 2:53 PM
  • babyjoy214babyjoy214 subscriber Posts: 2
    Hi!
    I don`t believe that word of mouth is an effective way for promoting a site, It is a good offline marketing but it all really depends.. It may be popular to your family and friends but to the next extent friends of friends of friends of friends?? As what CraigL said, recommendations are present when there is really great experience from it. I still prefer linkages as to popularity of a site.