WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Is this a good marketing idea?

2»

Comments

• Options
    darrindickeydarrindickey subscriber Posts: 1
    MHGC,
    I think it`s an inspired idea. You connect with people in a personal way when you do this. I`m not a lawyer, but I wouldn`t think there would be a legal implication in this. Peeking in windows is an invasion into personal space, where people have a right to their privacy. Picking up open WiFi connections is picking up their broadcasted signal outside of their personal space. They have no right to expect those broadcasted signals are private. (Many do because they`re uneducated about the technology.)
    Could it be considered creepy? Absolutely. That`s what works about the idea! Will some people be offended? Probably. Who cares? In a direct mail campaign, you`re only going to get a response from 1 or 2 out of 100 recipients anyway. Some of the remaining 98 or 99 will be offended that you sent them junk mail. If your goal is to market in a way that doesn`t offend anyone, you`re probably not going to get much of a response to begin with...and you`ll still fail at not offending.
    If you have the money and want to be really wild, test. Do a direct mail campaign and an "open WiFi" campaign and see which does better. I could be completely full of crap.
    And since I`m already throwing in my two pennies, I bet the business segment will be more profitable. However, since you`re starting part time and on a shoestring, you could try the home market and see how it goes. Just make sure you have a good "story" to tell people as to why they should use you instead of taking their problem to The Geek Squad or someone else. Heck, you might find an under served market. I know I have a PC with a problem and I`ve let it sit and languish rather than get it fixed because I fear the price of having someone come into my home to fix it and the pain (and price) of taking it somewhere like The Geek Squad.
    Darrin