WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

New Business Software Startup Idea

amatorreamatorre subscriber Posts: 1
edited April 2006 in Selecting a Business
The book "Built to Last" highlights that a key aspect of long-term successful businesses is they start on a set of principles, and uphold them.  I believe that many software companies begin with the final product in mind, and don`t believe this is the best way.
I`m researching the best of breed features of various business applications, ranging from ERP to single-vertical systems.  Functionality is fairly commoditized (i.e., WMS or AP applications do basically the same things).  I believe that there are gaping holes in three key areas:
==> Improving the user experience (i.e., KISS, decreased learning curve)
==> Creating a rapid implementation framework (i.e, 3 months or less as a RULE)
==> Creating a rapid development framework withing a consistent look and feel, web-native, service-oriented architecture
I believe that building the right framework, keeping a set of standards at heart, from scratch is key to creating the next big thing in business applications.  I believe that this will enable a new application suite to enter the market at significant advantage in pricing, implementation time, and maintenance costs.
Ultimately, I`d like to find a core team of software and/or business professionals with an entrepeneurial spirit, keen imagination, and aggressive personality to make this a reality.  In the mean time, I`ve been pulling out key features of my own companies applications, and researching those of others. 
This is just an idea now.  It`ll take a lot of effort and determination to make it a reality.  I believe in it though.
Any thoughts, comments, or interest in this idea would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    dwells2054dwells2054 subscriber Posts: 0
    I highly recommned you read the follow-up book to "Built to Last," which is titled, "Good to Great."  The author believes this new book describes what occurs in businessnes that start out, climbing to greatness or sinking to mediocrity.
    I`d like to hear from others on their thoughts on these two books.
    Thanks
  • Options
    theswaynestertheswaynester subscriber Posts: 15 Bronze Level Member
    Hey everyone--
    I did not read Built to Last, but I did read Good to Great. It`s kind of a company Bible where I work.I think Collins is right on target. With one word of caution: I notice people become almost paralyzed with "greatness," so much so that they are afraid to take any steps... Is this really our hedge hog concept? Is this person on the right seat of the bus?If taken to far, I believe it could be stifling for an innovation culture. Sometimes you need to say, "What the hell... let`s try it out and see what happens."I find myself saying (often): it`s good to great, people, not good to perfect.
    Just my two cents.
    Matt