WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

I want to start a handmade crafts business

CountryCraftersCountryCrafters subscriber Posts: 1
edited July 2009 in Selecting a Business
 I want to start a craft business in New Hampshire.  I have some of my pieces in a Florist/Gift Shop right now.  I` m looking to expand into craft fairs and web sales.  Does anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks,
Shawlee 
CountryCrafters12/6/2007 7:34 PM

Comments

• consumertreehouseconsumertreehouse subscriber Posts: 11
    My friend`s mother does this. She makes everything from handmade clay pots for plants, to hand made woven baskets, to her own dipping sauces mixes where you just add sour cream. This is all that she does and she has been very successful on her own. She lives in a small town in Oregon, where I grew up, and travels around the state to festivals, fairs, flea markets, etc....selling her items. She does nothing online, all sales are in person. She buys everything in bulk, usually online because it`s cheaper, and just works from her house. It`s completely possibly to support yourself by doing this, I`ve seen it so I know it can be done. Just be ready to put all your time and effort into.Good Luck
  • CountryCraftersCountryCrafters subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi Craig,
        I make the following:
    Crocheted Items, Christmas Ornaments, Gourmet Dog Treats, Jewelery, Gifts in a Jar, Candy, Glass Painting, Gourmet Food, Silk Flower Wreaths and Arrangements, Plastic Canvas, Cross Stitch, Latch Hook, Magnets, Bookmarks, and Nature Crafts.  I`ve also put up a storefront on the site etsy.  I plan on opening January 2008. 
    What is a minute sale?
    Shawlee Manning
  • LiveWiseLiveWise subscriber Posts: 5
    I have done Arts/Crafts because I enjoy it.  I have sold them at craft fairs.  I get lots of comments that my items are cute and the best ones at the show, but there is not a lot of ability to make money.  I figured I make less than minimum wage by the time you figure all the time it takes to make the crafts and also deduct the costs of materials and entry fees.  It will never be my source of income, just some extra on the side occasionally.
  • TeepetalsTeepetals subscriber Posts: 1
    If you`re wanting to get into the "handmade" business, I would consider you trying etsy. I myself create handmade wallets and more and sell them on etsy. You can get your products out to a wide audience since etsy is worldwide. I am on etsy here: http://www.teepetals.etsy.com

• WebJunkyWebJunky subscriber Posts: 8 Member
    ebay, craigslist, your own website . . . perhaps contact stores like michaels and see if there is taste for what you have to offer?
  • WebJunkyWebJunky subscriber Posts: 8 Member
    any updates on the crafts business ? please keep us posted . . . success stories are always great to hear and a big inspiration to all of us