WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Unique Charity Forum Idea

GIJoeGIJoe subscriber Posts: 3
edited April 2008 in Selecting a Business
So I think I have a unique idea, one that caters to peoples desire to help and also provides a service at the same time.
The idea is a forum, like this (although I like VBulletin), centered around charity. There would be a few sub forums on the site, each dealing with a different area. Environmentalism, feeding the hungry,  adoption and such. The site will raise funds for a different charity each month that users vote on. Then the winning charity gets it own, top spot forum for discussion. People can donate if they want, with a little goal bar at the top.
The catch is that you must pay to post on the site. Nothing major, like $1-$5 per month, or a nickel per post, with the money used through posting going towards the charity.
Instead of donating directly to a group, you now have a community of like minded people where you use the power of large groups to donate money and have fun posting online.
Companies could even sponsor a forum.
I would keep a small percent to run the site (probably not to much needed), and , make money though advertisements on the site.
Thoughts, comments, critiques.

Comments

• Options
    GIJoeGIJoe subscriber Posts: 3
    I quickly set up a free forum using a free host and free software. Set-up was automatic, then you customize it yourself. They use PHPBB though, not VBulletin. I like it though.
    I`ll use this to test a market for it, market it through FaceBook, MySpace and other social networks. Once I have a few members I plan to sent out press releases and contact various news sources about the site, as well as get a dedicated server to host this on with its own unique domain name.
    For those who think I`m being horrible by taking a small cut, as the numbers increase, I`ll be taking a smaller cut. Most of the cut I take is going to be used to start-up other business that have charitable goals. I`ve always thought it would be great to have a company that takes homeless men, gives them a chance and changes their lives.