WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

A call from NBC - here’s what happened...

Comments

• JeannieJeannie subscriber Posts: 8
    Hi Kathy!
    Thanks for the nice comment! But I really can`t take the credit for it at all.  The brilliant artist who created this video, Marco Martins, should be the one to get the loud applause! - But I will be sure to let him know your kind words.  Thanks!
    Hey Cartess,
    I hear your great advice loud and clear.  But I don`t know how to embed the youtube video into my own site.  That`s why I was only able to place a link instead. Is it easy to embed it?  Am I even using the term "embed" correctly? I thought only blogs can embed the videos.  Besides, if I embed it into my website, will it use alot of the bandwidth? As you can see, I don`t know much about this.  Your expert advice would be much appreciated!
    Jeannie

Hey Cartess,
    I embed the youtube video by myself! That was really simple! Thanks for teaching me!
    Jeannie
    Hi Steve!
    You`re not late in the game at all! You and anyone else`s fine input is ALWAYS welcomed AND at anytime! I sure need all the expert advice, comments, suggestions and opinions that I can get. I can never say that I have enough!  
    Steve, thanks for your kind words. I really appreciate it!
    Your SmudgeGuard is well on it`s way to making it to your doorstep!
    Sincerely,
    Jeannie Lit
    Hey Jeff,
    Thanks for the quick reply to Craig! I really appreciate that! 
    As for the name, even though it`s not the ideal name anymore, I have decided to stick with it because my trademark name, SmudgeGuard, has just passed and will be published next month. So I`m gonna stick by the original name. Besides, the name has become an enormous sentimental value to me, because my great supportive husband, was the one who created the wonderful name for my product. So in essence, I`m sticking with my husband`s cherished name.  
    My hope now, is for people to recognize the name as a "brand name" and not just a name to describe it`s original function. I hope the word will spread that it`s much more than a protective glove to prevent smudges. I hope people will realize that SmudgeGuard (SG) keeps your hand clean AND as an added bonus, allows your hand to glide more easily on paper and/or tablets when writing or drawing.  
    I also hope that once my customers know of SmudgeGuard, that they will take on the easier lingo name I gave it - SG!   (When writing letters to my customers, it`s easier for me to write "SG" instead of writing the whole word). My customers find it easy as well to use the abbreviation! 
    So, it`s all good.
    Jeannie
    P.S. Jeff, you deserve another SG!  (Jeff happened to be my first customer who purchased from my website back in Nov. He`s been a great supporter ever since).  I`m gonna send you a PM.
    Think of this, now that I`m pondering the concept of sweat: We do highly precise sewing, having had to invent some new techniques.
    Craig, just curious...when you say the above, are you saying you sew? I`m a bit confused and just need some clarification.
    Also, with the extending of the wrist area for carpal tunnel or even just for the artists who would like their wrist covered more, is a really good idea for an addition to my product line down the road. But I gotta wait for my business to be truly successful before I ponder those thoughts. I`m kinda out of funds now.  
    But I will definitely keep it in my bag of tricks - for down the road.
    Thanks!
    JeannieJeannie2007-7-26 21:19:49

Now, ever since Degrees mentioned "The Big Idea Show" by Donny, I`ve been hooked to that show!  I`ve been seeing every episode.  He and his guests give you so much inspiration! Next, I`m gonna write to Donny and tell him what I think about his show. Let`s see if he`ll be kind enough to write back to me!

Guess what? Donny`s Audience Coordinator got back to me today.  I actually saw one of our other SuN members, Melissa of Story Book Studios in the studio audience in yesterday`s episode.  She got to ask Donny a question. So yesterday, I immediately asked Melissa how she got on his show and she just said to type "Show Tickets" on the email title and ask for tickets. So that`s what I did yesterday. 
    Tip: They are still looking for more audience members to attend their last show (with an audience member included) this Tuesday July 31.  If you`re in the NJ/NY area, send them an email NOW.  They will accept it before 5pm today if you`re interested in being an audience member.
    So I am proud to say that I will be one of his "Audience Members" this Tuesday.  Granted, it`s not a guest interview, but I`m still happy to be a part of his audience! I`ve become a big fan of his show!
    Jeannie

Well...this is just for anyone who wants to know what happens at Donny`s show, "The Big Idea"...if you`re an audience member...
    They feed you mango pizza, thai pizza, and other exotic named pizza, fresh fruit and cookies before the show actually starts. Which is nice. 
    Then they tell you to sign a waiver of some sort. (I didn`t really read it). I drove an hour and 15 minutes to see his show..Of course, I`ll sign anything at that point.
    Then they make you go to work by clapping your brains out!  I guess that`s why they feed you before hand, so that you`ll have enough energy to clap loud!
    Donny is just as energized as he is on tv...but he did use some F words to get the audience comfortable and laughing.
    Overall, it was a cool experience since I`ve never been to a tv show before.  But I don`t think I would want to attend as an audience member again.  But if..as a Guest? - Yeah, Definitely!
    Jeannie

• toobizyladytoobizylady subscriber Posts: 1
    Good Afternoon Jeannie,
    How is everything going with your SmudgeGuard?  Have you heard anymore from The Big Idea?
    It has really been good lately.
    Hi Julie,

Yes, The Big Idea HAS been really good lately! Especially good because I see a fellow SUN member being on it! Her name is Leslie and she invented Grill Charms.  I am SOOO happy to see her becoming so successful! I`ve got to get in touch with her to see what kind of video she sent (whether VHS or just a 8 mm casette, etc.)

She`s really inspired me once again and I WANT TO BE ON THE BIG IDEA TOO! LOL

But to answer your question about SmudgeGuard, well...it`s doing well. I get business everyday and not bad - considering I`m still using grass roots marketing. I have two retailers under my inexperienced belt and I`ve just got to have more guts/balls to pound the pavement!

Thanks for asking Julie! I will try to send Donny a video soon!

-Jeannie

Jeannie3/7/2008 2:55 PM
  • besthealthbesthealth subscriber Posts: 4
    First, congratulations on Smudge Guard. I hope that you get the call from NBC. I love to watch The Big Idea - and I saw the show with Leslie and Grill Charms products. I was so happy for her yet disappointed in the feedback she got from Bill Zanker (Learning Annex) he was not encouraging at all. In any case, I do believe that she is on to something and I hope that she exceeds her own expectations. Would love to see you on The Big Idea!!!!!
    Thanks for the kind words Besthealth!

As for Leslie, she just received a big retailer as a customer - just from being on the show!  =)So, even though she didn`t get the positive feedback from Bill Zanker....she got the needed publicity! =)

Jeannie

If I ever do get on Donny, I`ll be sure to let you guys know!

Thanks Janie!

- Jeannie
  • daleyfla99daleyfla99 subscriber Posts: 1
    Ok, somebody noticed you, and it was somebody BIG.  So, go proactive.  Go to the website, find out about the show producers for a big time show, like the ones you watch, and send them a pitch.  Come up with an interesting angle for your product, like it will do....something unique.  Don`t forget about the Today show and others like it. 
     Joan Stewart`s site (publicity hound) has PR ideas and you can submit a product to her newsletter and her readers will give you ideas on how to promote it. 

The worst thing that happens is they are not interested.  The best thing that happens is that they ARE interested.  Try your local TV news stations too, they like human interest stories and a local small biz that attracted NBC is a big story.  Tell them they were considering featuring you for a national story.  That will get their attention.

Also, find out about that catalog for lefties and get your product in there. 

Good luck!
    daleyfla993/21/2008 8:42 AM
    Dale,
    Your encouragement is great! I will try!

Thanks!

Jeannie
  • baxtertea2075baxtertea2075 subscriber Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice. I`ll definitely remember it!  I have been turned down for a few stories because I haven`t been in business long enough to make a ton of money and it is very frustrating!  All you need is one story to get the exposure to make millions!  I just wish someone would take a chance on the small girl/guy!