WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

(Untitled)

Comments

• JeannieJeannie subscriber Posts: 8

Jeannie,
    Just hit the quote button on the top left of the post you want to quote. It will quote the entire post, but you can delete what`s in there and just leave what you want quoted.

Thanks Chris!

• WorkinmomWorkinmom subscriber Posts: 0
    Jeannie, Your description was right on target.  I, too, participated in a "call for entries" kind of opportunity with QVC last year in San Francisco.  Same set up, but was I disappointed!!!  The person reviewing my three products had zero to say, zero questions and zero personality to boot.  I later found out from one of the representatives at QVC that they were short on buyers and had utilized "several" of their office assistants.  I realize they have many many entries to get through, but perhaps they should be a little more discriminating during the application process.I may sound like sour grapes (right, I didn`t get the "yes" email) but I didn`t expect to after my experience with the "buyer."  I will add that I DID get selected to appear on QVC years ago and it was a positive experience.  However, be prepared to cover the expense of pre-show inventory requirements, know their markups and beware of the buy-back clause for what doesn`t sell.  Basically, it`s not a free lunch with the millions of viewers they bring to your product.  That`s the trade off.My only hope is if I have the time, patience and resources to apply for the Oprah opportunity, I`ll have a chance to show my product to someone that counts.So there.  P.S.  Good luck to everyone!
  • GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    I don`t know as much about this as a lot of people on the board, but I`ll tell you what I do know...  QVC is a retailer.  They buy your product at a wholesale price that is negotiated prior to them committing to an order.  They take all the orders and calls as they have bought the items for their "store".  (instead of having a store front, they have a TV screen)  You ship your product to them in the quantity they want, packaged they way they want, at the price they want.  Regarding the amount of items, at this particular product search, you can bring up to 3, but this is just an interview with a buyer, not a taping.  There are a lot more steps after this.  Hopefully more than one of us on SuN will know first hand the rest and we`ll get back to ya!
  • WorkinmomWorkinmom subscriber Posts: 0
    Grillcharmer is right.  Also, from experience or from hearing their presentations, I`ve learned they need a hefty margin (my term, not theirs) My item went to them for $89 wholesale (they bought $10,000.00 worth at wholesale) but sold them for $145 which I thought was a little high for the product ... that`s shipped to their warehouse AFTER additional packaging (double boxing) to pass the `drop test` which is about equal to a gorilla jumping on it.Grillcharmer answered most of your questions, which included: "What`s the seller clause with QVC?         What they don`t sell you agree to TAKE BACK.Do they make a percentage?      Hefty margin; not sure of their formula but for my item $89 cost; $145 retail.Do you have to supply your own operators for accepting the orders?   No!Do
    they charge a fee for handling your orders?       They buy at a pre-negotiated wholesale price.Do you have to have certain
    number of products at the time you are "QVC Qualified" meaning do you
    have to bring 200 products to the show when you are taping?  $10,000 at wholesale cost seems to be the quantity they want to make it worth their while.  Depending on it`s success, you either get more orders or eat what`s left of your original order that YOU prepped/packaged/shipped to their distribution warehouse so they could handle fulfillment the great way they do.Hope that helped.  I`m not anti-QVC, just realistic and want others not to get to jaded by the name and brand.  It can really put someone under or it can put them in motion.  It`s a calculated risk both parties need to take.
  • CeliCeli subscriber Posts: 0
    Jeannie!
    You are the best!  Thanks for sharing your experience.  I think you just saved me like $200.  I was going to create story boards and really jazz up my presentation because I thought I would be several feet from a table of judges but I guess not!  I can`t thank you enough.  Good luck with your product. 

• storybookstudiostorybookstudio subscriber Posts: 7
    Hi Annie!
    Thanks for letting us know you had 10 minutes. That`s actually more time than I thought. I am demonstrating a kit, so I need a few minutes to get all my things out, samples and my items I`m demonstrating on. 10 minutes sounds like more than enough time. How did your presentation go? I think your shoes are great - terrific idea! Of course, I`m partial to shoes, only little girls shoes ;0} I sell my handpainted shoes wholesale to children`s boutiques. (You can check out my website if you have time www.storybookstudio.net</A> )
    Did they tell you when you should expect to hear from them?
    I`m not presenting the shoes, but a kit to paint on fabric with my designs. I`m keeping my fingers crossed for all of our SUN members!!

• KelleeKellee subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi Annie!
    I am doing my presentation in LA on Monday and I was wondering if you saw any of "Oprah`s people" lingering around, or if everyone that was there was from QVC.
    Also, how long was your presentation? And, how many people were there? I did an open call for QVC last year and it was MOBBED! Was this pretty orderly?
    Thanks!
    Kellee

Thanks so much for the kind words about my shoes and for all of the info Annie ;0)
    It`s strange, I feel very relaxed now and like Chris, I plan to wing it somewhat, and basically let my demonstration speak for itself. However...I have no idea how I will feel when I see all of those people! I`m excited though!
    Thanks again! I sure that hope someone from SUN will get the `golden ticket` to QVC.

• CookieCookie subscriber Posts: 2
    I was at Rosemont today for the QVC tryout.  It WAS orderly.  Felt like Disneyland as one wound back & forth through the lines.  In 2003, I was one of 30 at Harpo Studios to try out for Oprah`s Million Dollar Idea Show.  Oprah`s staff chose the 30 from around the country.  QVC narrowed it down to the 7 who went on the show.  I saw no Oprah people there today.  This was all QVC.  And what a well-oiled machine it is! 
    Back in 2003 they told me they don`t like to sell below a certain price point.  I think $4.99 for the SmudgeGloves is going to be a problem.  But you never know.  Hope all of us who tried out are successful.  BTW a gal who was one of Oprah`s 7, the inventor of PetTalk, said she was able to limit how many she had to ship to them.  One really has to be careful since you have to ship home what doesn`t sell.
    Cookie   www.wedgie.biz</A>  The container gardener`s favorite planting tool
    Greg,
    Thank you so much for that very detailed description of your experience. I am feeling a little better too, knowing that there were some children`s items there as well. My kits are not entirely geared for children, but most people would probably purchase them with children in mind. I believe my packaging will appeal to a child or child at heart!
    Anyway, all of this information is so helpful! I would love to see photos if you can upload them Greg!

• RCTOYSRCTOYS subscriber Posts: 2
    Greg - What time did you present?  I was in Chicago yesterday as well at the 9-10 time slot.    I did get quite a few of the judges and camera crew at my table but I`m not sure who was QVC or Oprah. 
    I was so focused on what was going on with the judges that the rest of the items were a blur.  I would have liked to have seen what else was there.  It was wonderful to see how many people are out there doing their thing but also a little nerve-racking when you realize only 10 are going to make it. 
    I assume that there will be a group accepted on the 27th to go through to the next process of elimination.  I can`t imagine that they will narrow it down to the final 10 for a few months yet. 
    Good luck to everyone here.  I just found this site today and was excited to find fellow entrepreneurs going through the same ups and downs.   I look forward to seeing how many members make it to the next stage!
  • KelleeKellee subscriber Posts: 0
    RCTOYS,
    Did you do your presentation in front of MANY "judges" or was it ONE person?
    When I was at QVC last year it was in front of ONE person.
    Thanks for sharing your experience!!

KelleeKellee2007-3-24 19:51:55
  • JeannieJeannie subscriber Posts: 8
    By the way, I did see quite a bit of children`s and kid`s things there, so Jeannie, if you haven`t canceled your appointment, give it a try.  Oprah`s camera people were clustered around one of the children demos.  So take heart.
    Hi Greg,
    Thanks for encouraging me to try again. But I will pass this time. Thanks for the thought though.
    I wonder if camera`s are going to be at QVC in PA? Anyways, good luck to all and it was my pleasure to share my experience with everyone. I`m very glad that I was able to help!
    Jeannie

• LadyDiLadyDi subscriber Posts: 1
    HI GREGI HOPE YOU HAD A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE IN CHICAGO.  I HAVE AN APPT. IN PA ON THE 29TH.  I`M VERY NEW TO THIS & HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO EXPECT.  I STUMBLED ONTO THIS WEB SITE & I`VE BEEN GLUED TO IT READING EVERYONES COMMENTS.  I DON`T QUITE UNDERSTAND IF I NEED TO SET UP A TABLE BEFORE MY APPT. OR ONLY AT THE TIME OF MY APPT.  CAN YOU WALK AROUND AND VIEW OTHER TABLES??  MY PRODUCT IS SMALL AND WILL TAKE UP A CORNER & LOOK LOST ON A LG. TABLE.  DO YOU KNOW IF YOU CAN BRING A VARIETY OF THE SAME ITEM?? HELP!!!  
  • RCTOYSRCTOYS subscriber Posts: 2
    Kellee,
    I had one judge and then met a second.  I also met with quality assurance but I think that is because of the nature of my product - a toy - I think they wanted to make sure that I was prepared with my safety testing requirements.