WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

I need a new tagline..need SuN members’ help.

JeannieJeannie subscriber Posts: 8
edited August 2007 in Marketing
Hi SuN Members...
My product, SmudgeGuard (SG) has taken on new markets, so my existing tagline of "Never get smudges again!" isn`t ideal anymore.
Originally, SG, was made for left-handed people to eliminate smudges when writing and drawing.
Then, sketch artists were included because I found out they had the same problem when drawing or sketching.
Later, Calligraphers used SG so that they won`t soil the paper with their oily, sweaty hands.
Now, Tablet PC users wear it to get rid of the smudges from their sweaty hands and to also allow their hand to glide easier without the hand friction.
Lastly, Wacom tablet users, wear SG so that their hand can glide more easily on the plastic surface making it easier for them to write or draw.
I was brainstorming for a tagline and I came up with this.
SmudgeGuard
GLIDE EASIER
(without the sweat and smudges!) 

So, do you think it fits well with my product? If not, I am open to any suggestions.  I was trying to think of something memorable that rhymes like the routisserie chicken`s tagline: "Set it and Forget it!" But couldn`t think of anything good. So I need some of SuN`s great brainpower at this point. 
Thanks in advance for your help!
Jeannie

Comments

• ToddFToddF subscriber Posts: 3
    what about "SmudgeGuard Easy Glide Hand Protector". I always like to say what the product is if possible. The phrase here says exactly what it does and is along with the name.
    Some other variations of yours:SmudgeGuard Glide Easy Hand ProtectorSmudgeGuard Frictionless Hand Protector - this one is questionable if you know what I mean SmudgeGuard Easy Slide Palm ProtectorSmudgeGuard the Frictionless, Smudgless Hand Protector
    Ok they`re not the best but its a start.ToddF2007-8-1 15:39:9
  • JeannieJeannie subscriber Posts: 8
    Craig,
    I`ll look forward to your thoughts.
    Todd,
    Out of your variations, I like "SmudgeGuard Glide Easy Hand Protector" the best. Thanks for making an effort to start!
    Nikole,
    Sketchcasting is awesome! And yes, there`s definitely some cross promotion action potential there! Thanks for bringing up my product!  
    Steve,
    Great to hear you received it.  I will look forward to your ideas as well!
    Thanks!
    Jeannie
     Jeannie2007-8-1 17:45:32
    Now, you see why I needed all your help! My brain was getting fried!
    Okay, but I have some more ideas.  Please note that they are just random thoughts. They may not make sense. But I will write it down anyway.
    Now, after hearing Nikole say to keep it simple and say what it is..
    My thought is that it is a little glove. A protective glove.
    So should it begin with " SmudgeGuard - a little glove that....."
    - a little glove that`s a cut above.
    - a little glove with alot of love. - remember, I`m just making it up!
    - the wonder glove
    - a little glove that hides and glides
    - a little glove that slides and glides
    Hmm..okay, NEXT! Who`s next?

The glove that loves artists?! Jeannie2007-8-1 19:23:33
    A glove that protects your creations? Okay, really, who`s next? Jeannie2007-8-1 19:28:55
  • jwatkinsjwatkins subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member
    SmudgeGuard"Bear a grudge against friction and smudge!"SmudgeGuard"Friction free moves and smudgeless grooves!"
    The Glove that Ate the World!  LOL!!(jus` couldn`t resist. I know...I know...it contributes nothing to the discussion, but so what...! A great movie plot!)
    Craig.. SO WHAT! if it doesn`t contribute to the discussion. We`re all here to poke some fun too!  I don`t mind at all!
    Steve, so instead of part glove, how about partial glove? I understand what you mean about the clothing for the hand though. Hmmm...
    Craig... "The Smudgeguard--For a truly hands-off experience in graphic design." -
    Hmm... it isn`t just for graphic design though.  
    jwatkins... thanks for your ideas.  The first one conjures up a real bear for me with a grudge when I first read it.  And the second one, my tongue got all tied trying to say it. I can`t say it fast and smooth enough.  Hmm...
    But I LOVE all the brain wave efforts from everybody though! Keep em coming! Jeannie2007-8-1 21:51:32
  • SparkleGirlSparkleGirl subscriber Posts: 2
    Hi,
    How about "Protect Your Writings and Drawings with SmudgeGuard"?
    I just put the tagline (which is the product benefit) first....SparkleGirl2007-8-2 2:58:29
    How about.....
    SmudgeGuard - wear it to protect your writing and drawings
    SmudgeGuard - wear it for your work
    SmudgeGuard - wear it as a favor for your work
    SmudgeGuard - wear it and clear it
    SmudgeGaurd - a 3 in 1 all purpose writing and drawing glove
    SmudgeGuard - it gets rid of the 3 problems..Sweat, Stickiness, Smudges
    SmudgeGuard - a performance guard for writing and drawing
    SmudgeGuard - wear it to fullful your imagination
     Jeannie2007-8-2 7:51:46
    SmudgeGuard - Allows you to be creative (without the sweat and smudges!)
    The unique attribute is where we`re brainstorming. Is it to "keep hand clean" or is it "to protect paper," or is it "to reduce friction" or......what?
    Craig, it`s all of those things...
    Lefties use it to keep their hand clean.
    Calligraphers use it to protect their paper.
    Wacom users use it to reduce friction.
    Each market buys my product for those separate reasons. So, I`m having a hard time zooming in on one specific reason. 
    Craig, when you say hands-off experience, I get it. But for writers and artists, there wonderful creations are all done by their hands.  So, they may not get that.
    Kathy, how about.."Where your hand is dressrd for writing and drawing"
    Here`s some more...
    SmudgeGuard -where your hand is dressed for success
    SmudgeGuard - where your hand is prepped for writing and drawing.
    SmudgeGuard - freely write and draw without any complications
    SmudgeGuard - truly experience writing and drawing without any annoyances.
    SmudgeGuard - the only protective glove for writers and artists
    SmudgeGuard - doesn`t interrupt your thoughts when writing or drawingJeannie2007-8-2 8:25:6
  • FeliciaSlatteryFeliciaSlattery subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi Jeannie,
    Your product certainly has many benefits and various audiences!  I get why you`ve been having a tough time coming up with your tagline.  How about combining a couple of your ideas:
    SmudgeGuard - the only 3-in-1 protective glove for writers and artists.
    Here`s a radical idea... have you thought of changing the name of your product?  SmudgeGuard worked great when you were marketing for lefties to not get their papers messy... but maybe another name could imply more uses.  What about:
    The Writers` Glove (yeah, I know, that doesn`t incorporate artists)  I`m just tossing out an idea.
    Would you want to change the name?  I know that`d be a big step.  I recently added a brand to my business and it`s been a long process for sure.  But for me it was worth it because now I`m attracting more of the people I want to work with and help.
    I`ll pop in later with more ideas!
    Warmly,
    Felicia

Here`s a radical idea... have you thought of changing the name of your product?  SmudgeGuard worked great when you were marketing for lefties to not get their papers messy... but maybe another name could imply more uses.  What about:
    The Writers` Glove (yeah, I know, that doesn`t incorporate artists)  I`m just tossing out an idea.
    Would you want to change the name? 

Hi Felicia,
    Thanks for taking the time to give me your ideas. I agree with Kathy, and I like  the one you came up with.
    That will be in the running now.
    As for your question of changing the name of my product, other kind folks have suggested that possibility with me already.  But I`m sticking with the name because it has sentimental value to me now.  (My husband chose that name).
    But since I decided to keep the name, I decided to add a new little name for each market because I realized each market googles a certain word for it.
    For example, lefties type "writing glove for lefties" to search.
    Wacom users type "wacom glove" in their search.
    And Tablet users type "tablet glove". They type in other keywords. But these three are the main ones.  So I have included these three basic names into my website.  Since they use the word "glove", that`s why I want to include glove into the tagline.
    I also realized these 3 markets have one thing in common with my product....that is...they all have the sweat being the problem in the first place.
    Sweat makes the ink cling to your hand creating smudges.
    Sweat makes the ugly smudges on tablets.
    Sweat makes the hand stick to the surface of the Wacom.
    So I believe the tagline should include glove and sweat?
    SmudgeGuard - don`t let sweat ruin your work?
    SmudgeGuard - the little glove that controls the problem of sweat!
    Still thinking...
    For some reason, the words performance and protection sounds like something else, if you know what I mean! There`s this image that keeps poppin up as I read it. Sorry..but I needed to tell you guys that.
    Craig, you`re right about Right Guard - they don`t really talk about the Sweat! They call it anti-perspirant.  Their tagline is Never get caught OFF GUARD!
    Funny, I never saw their product until tonight and my old tagline has the same two words. "Never get smudges again!" 
    Anyway, should I just stick with the old and just add the word friction?...
    "Never get smudges and friction again!"
    Okay, what about this one....
    "SmudgeGuard - The glove that keeps the sweat in check!"
     Jeannie2007-8-2 23:14:0