WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Ads in Home Business Magazines

hjgauthierhjgauthier subscriber Posts: 19
edited July 2007 in Marketing
I was reading an e-book that suggested using Home Buisness Opportunity types of Printed Magazines is a great place to advertise, and some can be used with discounted advertisement rates.  Has anyone done this and what results did you get, and on average how much did you pay per sale/sign up?
Thanks,Hubert

Comments

• Options
    LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    I`ve got to agree with Kim.  Most of the home business magazines are so poorly designed, and so full of advertising, that your advertising would get lost or not reach your target audience effectively.- J.
  • Options

Personally, I find most of the home business magazines to be a cheesy blur between a real story and an advertorial.  They aren`t often clear that the story on the GREAT business in their magazine was actually purchased by the business. 
    I guess it depends on which magazine and whether you are going to place an actual AD or buy a story about your business. 
    ~Kim

Kim,
    What you said brought to mind Paul Harvey, a man I heard deliver news stories on the radio.  Great speaker, that would move from one story to another and in the middle of one story I realized it wasn`t a news story, but an advertisement.  It seems to me that I thought "how effective a salesman he was."  If one could craft an ad that well, might it also be very effective?
    Hubert
  • Options
    iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14

hjgauthier
    ... Paul Harvey was effective with that style of "tossing in an ad" because it was not expected from his day and age. It worked great. But today I think people are more sophisticated when it comes to ad awareness.As for home business magazines that come to my door... They usually hit the trash after a couple flips through the pages. I don`t subscribe to any, but occasionally I get sent free copies. Again... advertising.
  • Options
    LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    What you said brought to mind Paul Harvey...Brought a smile to my face - my dad has occasionally written for him over the years.- J.
  • Options
    iouone2,
    I understand that you find no value in home business magazines.  Some have large suscriber lists as well as being sold at news stands.  While you wouldn`t waste your money on them do you think that all the tens of thousands and some even up to 250,000 people buying them don`t bother reading them either?
    Hubert