WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Help Preparing to Sell Please

hustleandgohustleandgo subscriber Posts: 1
edited April 2009 in Home-Based Businesses
Hi all! I`m new here so bear with me.
I own an in-home personal training business in rural Ohio. I have only owned this business since May 08 but am planning to move out of state in fall 09 and would like to sell at that time. I`ve picked up a new client almost every month since I started so the business is growing rapidly. I think I could get a personal trainer or newly graduated student in the area to buy the business (basically a website and client list) from me.
Right now I`m trying to figure out what the best steps to take are leading up to putting the business up for sale around August.
It is currently a sole proprietorship. Do I need to turn it into an LLC to sell?
I`ve read that with my type of business (no inventory, no building, no equipment) that I should multiply annual profits by 1-1.5 to determine a sell price? And additionally, how do I determine annual profit if income has increased each month?
Should I file estimated taxes? (this ties into question 1)
Should I continue adding clients so that the monthly income is as high as possible by the sell date?
Is there anything else I should do?
Thank you so much to anyone who can answer my questions. I`ve been getting a headache reading the irs website on taxes and articles on valuation. I could use some help from someone more experienced.

Comments