WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

How do you do market research?

Fiberartist219Fiberartist219 subscriber Posts: 5
edited January 2007 in Marketing
Most sources of advice on making business plans say to research the market, and know what type of person you are going to sell to.
How do you do this?
I have an idea of who I`m going to sell to, but I have no idea what their income is like or what age they are going to be. I am not sure who exactly is going to fall in love with my work until I get out there and do it. Does anyone have tips on this?

Comments

• Options
    AleemAleem subscriber Posts: 4
    If you`re in the US, this shouldn`t be too difficult. There are lots of market research companies that can take on a commissioned survey for you. I plan to offer this service one day at NationalCensus.net but if you don`t want to spend too much or if you want to do it yourself, you can check your local chamber of commerce, the Department of Commerce and maybe even your local library. America is very good at collecting statistics. The data you want is out there, you just have to find out who has been collecting it and how to get it from them.Good luck,Aleem
  • Options
    InactiveMemberInactiveMember subscriber Posts: 12
    There are probably books on how to perform market research. You might try the local library/bookstore. Hope this helps.