WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

What should I do?

TiaZTiaZ subscriber Posts: 1
edited April 2008 in Selecting a Business
Hi everyone my name is Tia and I am 23 years old. I have just joined this community and so far its been very helpful. I have been really interested in starting my own business for a while now. I was thinking of doing catering but doing it from my home part time since I work full time outside of the home. I want to specialize in healthy foods. I love to cook but I feel that I might need to further my interest with some cooking and culinary classes and I am considering signing up for a class in the very near future. To get started I was wondering if I should start with creating healthy desserts and treats...Should I get my feet wet this way or should I just jump in and create some entrees to test the market? I am clueless on what to do but part of me thinks I won`t know unless I try it out. Has anyone had experience with a homebased catering service or does anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance.

Tia Z.

Comments

• vapourlockvapourlock subscriber Posts: 4

... I am clueless on what to do but part of me thinks I won`t know unless I try it out. ...  Tia Z.

You are right! You won`t know until you try it out. I am sure already know that the only difference between all those people who barely make it anywhere in a life time compared to those who make it big is the fact that the successful ones take ACTION, irrespective of what the ramifications might be. Imagine thinking all day about doing it while someone else comes along and takes the idea from right under your feet.
    Just go ahead and jump in. Start it. Making mistakes? Awesome! You are heading somewhere!
    All the very best. I would have loved to sample all those goodies you might be making
  • TiaZTiaZ subscriber Posts: 1
    So true! Maybe I will start small. Then if I do good I will branch out from  there. Thanks for the encouragement! It means a lot!

Tia Z.
  • vapourlockvapourlock subscriber Posts: 4

So true! Maybe I will start small. Then if I do good I will branch out from  there. Thanks for the encouragement! It means a lot!  Tia Z.

Great Going! Start small and rock! I`ll always be around. I am just a few keyboard taps away.
  • KevDevKevDev subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    Tia:
    One of the best ways to get established in, and learn about, a market is to work for someone else in your industry. If you have the opportunity, seek out a position in another catering firm or restaurant in your area. It is always easier and cheaper to learn from someone else`s mistakes rather than making them on your own!
    Good luck!
    Thanks eveyone for all of your great advice. I love this community!

Tia Z.
  • besthealthbesthealth subscriber Posts: 4
    Congratulations Tia, you have taken a great step - you came out and asked and look at the great support you have gotten. I agree with them all - you can do it! Best wishes........
    Thanks `BestHealth`...yes I think i am going to jump in and see how it goes...Even if it fails at least I won`t have to say "What if?"
    Tia Z.

• StrathyStrathy subscriber Posts: 0
    I have a friend in England who did exactly this.
    Go for it!!