WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Small niche-need market analysis help

EskimoLuckEskimoLuck subscriber Posts: 3
edited August 2006 in Marketing
Hello all !
I have been visiting this site often and love it so far!
My problem is that I need to research my market for my business plan and I can`t seem to really find any.  I will be buying Native crafts from villages from the North Slope of Alaska and selling them.  I want to target established gift shops that specialize in Native crafts, as well as collectors.  I want to start in-state first then expand to the north west coast.  It is hard for me to find any market analysis on Native Fine Art.  I will also be selling equipment and supplies needed to the villagers, there is no competition since this does not exist yet.
Thank you for reading this and for your advice!
Qayunakpuk (thank you very much!)

Comments

• EskimoLuckEskimoLuck subscriber Posts: 3
    "I would think the value of the native crafts comes from their unique way of crafting them.  It almost sounds like you have the intentions of comercializing their crafts...  Just wondering???"
    Eskimo artist have no access to carving tools, these are villages where there is only one store which sells a small amount of food and some odds and ends.  Though in older days ivory was carved using chipped stone....we have progressed to an era where we prefer motorized tools to carve...no commercialization...can`t do that with high end art pieces.  I am in fact at the moment finding and buying tools for friends and family, but at no cost.
     "again wonder if there is going to be a distinctive difference from their art and the next native art designs.  In the view  of the average consumer.  Yes I understand all art is unique.."
    Art from Alaskan Eskimo`s is unique in design...but mostly in medium.  The Eskimo people are one of the few people who can still create and sell art pieces using Walrus Ivory, Baleen, Polar bear hide, and various other mediums obtained from subsistance hunting. 
    But if we are going to presume  native art is native  art,  there has to be  a government tracking of said sales  outside the native communities,  sorry I don`t where that would be though
    As far as I can see there is none.  Pieces that are bought from the North Slope reagion are usually bought by wild and adventurous scientists, tourists and such.  Though there are some restrictions on some items, which can be taken out of state or country, I have yet to find the Fish and Game people warm to my questions. 
    I have one family member who had to move from the village just to sell his baleen baskets.  Though he sells all his pieces at a premium price, there is more demand than he can readily supply.  He is also limited in the amount of baleen he can use..by the distance (no roads folks..gotta fly) and by culture (you can receive baleen only if you helped in the hunting of the whale).  And this is just one example. 
    Another thing I should clarify is that we are not attached to the rest of the world like others in the lower 48....And even more so if you live in a village.  I have often handed over a catalog to a friend and have them hand it right back, most have no computers, and all want to see and touch an item before buying.  I have bought art pieces for store owners all over the north west, but because I was in school at the time it was too time consuming.  I have since realized that I loved that work, because it makes everyone happy .....including me.
    It is my mission to satify both artist and customer.  I have a deep love for my people and am pained to see them struggle in a world that relies on the paper dollar.  We have no jobs here, and those that are available require some sort of education.  But we do have beautiful amd unique art...And shops and collectors that crave them. 
    I am still at a loss as to where to look to find the numbers.
    Quyanukpuk,
    Rainey
  • keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    Qayunakpuk,
    I love your ideas. You sound very sincere and passionate.
    I suggest you forget about trying to contact gift shops. I believe you have a better opportunity setting up this very unique business online and through direct mail catalogs. These two mediums will give you many advantages over trying to establish a wide-ranging wholesale network with reps and such. With just a little contract outside help, you can have your business up and running to the whole world in little time and with minimal financial investment.
    I believe your products have a high value for collectors. It needs detail in the descriptions and photos. I believe you are targeting a very small market and this can best be reached through nice catalogs and an informative website. Plus, both of these communication pieces could tell your story about how you want to bring other goods to your people - something the stores and reps could/would never do.
    I would not worry about what else is out there. Your product and story is unique in and by itself. Tell your story in pictures and words through these two suggested mediums and you will be a success - IMHO.
    Take care and good luck!
    R@
  • EskimoLuckEskimoLuck subscriber Posts: 3
    Thank you for your reply!
    I am currently trying to recruit at least one of two people that have in depth experience in running a website.  Wish me luck!  I am tailoring my business plan to apply for grant monies, what would I put under market research?  I have written a thesis for graduate school, and this business plan beats it on the research end!  I just want to make sure it`s not set up for failure.
    How would I obatain target customers?  Any ideas?
    Quyanukpuk again