WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Using Skype as a Main Business Line for a small business?

xericxxericx subscriber Posts: 6
I just set up a skype account. 2.99 per month for unlimited calls to USA and Canada and 4 per month for a physical number that people can call. So 7 dollars a month. 
Voicemail is free. And the most important is that its portable for me (I travel alot, including out of the country). 
Has anyone done this here and have any pros/cons about it? 
Most of my communication I try to do on email..i do have 2 lines with Vonage for VOIP but this is a completely new venture that I want a "fresh" number for.
I also have a Yahoo Voice account but I`ve heard that the voice quality isn`t as good and you cannot customize the greeting on the voicemail, so that`s a no-go.  xericx6/5/2008 3:55 AM

Comments

• Options
    CarlsonCarlson subscriber Posts: 2
    I haven`t used Skype yet but the price seems great. Depending on what type of phone system you need, you may want to take a look at Got Vmail. $9.99 per month will get you a toll-free number, automated voicemail with call forwarding, music on hold, and up to nine mailboxes. This service is really easy to use and makes your company look like a large firm. Additional features include fax-thru-email and fax-on-demand. I have used Got Vmail for the past two years and couldn`t be happier. I refer all of my clients to their site: www.gotvmail.com. 
    I`d like to hear more about Skype. Send me an email and let me know what you think of their service. Good Luck!  
  • Options
    xericxxericx subscriber Posts: 6
    cool.i know internationally skype is extremely popular, here in the US, not somuch as we are relative tech-averse. 
    so far it seems fine. my call volume is low, so i don`t need to invest alot and i hire a lot of contractors so no need for multiple lines.
  • Options
    Mike LevinMike Levin subscriber Posts: 7 Member
    Skype cannot guarantee high quality of the phone calls. So it's better just to use virtual number with PBX system.