WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

In need of professional or relevant advise

NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
edited August 2009 in Thought Leadership
Ok fellas,
I haven't posted in awhile, but I have something critical to ask, my fellow members that have gone through a similar situation, as me... Here is my story, about 1 month ago I designed and developed a web site for a Company [I don't want to say the name], well, I usually don't develop on a customer's server until the web site is paid in full and we've closed the account, Only then will I release all files, Images, PNG's and so forth to the customer....

Well, I had a completed copy of his web site on my development server... After the completion of his project, rather than paying me, he avoided me, and avoided me for days until I went to his place of business. Just to find out he wasn't going to pay because he said he didn't have the money to pay me....

What he did was he had one of his friends make a copy of the complete site that was on on my server, and uploaded it to his server without my permission... I called the hosting company and they told me they can't do nothing about it... because he upload it himself.... and it wasn't their problem.... So here is my problem...

I want to sue the customer, not because of the money, but because it's about time that I put someone in their place.... But here is what I read somewhere.... I am going to sue this customer as a corporation.... But it says that once I sue it goes to public records. Now does this means that my corporation will have a bad record on Public Records? or only the defendant? Please advise before I go after him...

I see this happening more often these days.... More and more businesses are using the Economy as their shield to get away with stuff.... Why?

Comments

• Options
    NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Ok, it makes sense... So basically it's easier to rattle the customer's cage, and make them pay up... than going to court?

I have a copy of the signed contracts, that's not a problem... My problem is: I don't want that showing on my company's Public Records [You know how that shows on your credit report].

See this is what pisses me off.. because, I'm not going to ruin the company's reputation over a measily $400.00 bucks... I don't know if I should just take the loss, or go forward with this because he would be getting away with it.. and if he did it to me, most likely that's the way this person conducts business...

Not to mention he owns a limo company...