WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Rules for emailing a Proposal

cubemonkeycubemonkey subscriber Posts: 11
edited October 2007 in Sales
I have a list of small businesses I would like to contact with a business proposal. Are there any rules/guidelines that will help them actually be interested in what I have to say and read the attachment? What have you done in the past?I have read putting the persons name in the subject line, but what if you don`t have a name? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    CookieMonsterCookieMonster subscriber Posts: 0
    Never send unsolicited email. That`s a potentially good way to irritate/alienate. Call them first!
  • Options

Never send unsolicited email. That`s a potentially good way to irritate/alienate. Call them first!

Really? I would have thought a sales call would be much more interruptive and irritating. When I`m working and get a call about someone offering something I say no and hang up because my work is more important at the moment. At least with email they can go back to it when they have the free time.
    Does anyone else have the same take on this or am I thinking about it all wrong?
  • Options
    No, you contact the person and ask their permission to send them more information.Thanks! We are on the same page, I started doing that this afternoon. I`m asking the owners if they would like me to send them it.
  • Options
    GetAGripGetAGrip subscriber Posts: 14
    I have to agree with Nikole.  Of all of the cold calls I have made, I always, always ask their permission to send them an email.  This way they know it is coming and even if they say yes with the intentions of deleting, you may catch their eye and on the other hand, they think your polite and trying to not be irritating.
    The best practise will always be what you are best at.  If you have great people skills, go with a cold call without email.  If you can`t talk to people, simply call and ask their permission to send them an email. 
  • Options
    If there is no answer at the number and I need to send an email what should it sound like? Is there a better way to say this and somehow capture their attention and make them want to request it? Also keeping it from reading like spam...
    Dear <name or `Owner`> of <store>.
    I would like to email you a Business Proposal. If you would like to see it please let me know.
    Otherwise, thank you for your time.  
    Sincerely,
    <my info>cubemonkey10/26/2007 9:43 PM