WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Cube Farmer Moonlight Policy - Catch 22

ayjayayjay subscriber Posts: 7
edited March 2008 in Office Workers
Greeting SUN and Cube Dweller Forum. I am new to the site, but a long time cube dweller/entrepreneur wannabe.

Here`s my quandary. I have a full-time job as an engineer, but I`d like to start a side business. One of my more reasonable ideas is to do some professional contract work on the side.  I would not offer the same type of work I do for my employer (it wouldn`t even be actual engineering), but while it`s not something where I`d be competing with my employer, I think it borders on violating our strict outside employment policy.
I`d like the forum`s input on this policy.

An employee should not engage in any outside activity or employment that interferes with the performance of assigned duties with [X]. This interference includes the inability to work overtime hours requested by management.
Outside employment that constitutes a conflict of interest is expressly prohibited. This
includes working for competitors of [X] or performing duties whereby the employee is competing with the firm. It also includes working for suppliers of materials, equipment or services purchased or specified by [X]. To reiterate, an employee shall not undertake to perform or provide professional or technical services other than those assigned by [X].

Now, I know someone will say that you should know what you sign up for when you take a job, but I`m sure no one asks about the outside employment policy in an interiew.

Are most corp policies this strict? Do you think I really would be bound to not providing ANY technical/professional services, as I`ve interpretted. Or would the less-strict interpretation of just being available for OT, not working for competitors or suppliers, etc. be your interpretation? 

Thanks for the feedback.

aj

ayjay1/8/2008 8:27 PM

Comments

• BradBurnetteBradBurnette subscriber Posts: 1
    Can`t help you with that policy, but I am curious about a few things. Where are you an engineer at? Have you considered entering the business world in an area completely outside of what you do for the company you work for? And probably the most important thing I could think to ask, since you say you are an aspiring entrepreneur, is why? What do you want to do/have/accomplish that entrepreneurial ventures offer for you that jobs don`t?