WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Video in Websites

EGGardnerEGGardner subscriber Posts: 1
edited May 2008 in Website Critique
Sorry to bring up an old chestnut but I am determined to get this right. In an older forum string somebody showed an example of using a virtual spokesperson in a website and the voting outcome was there were equally as many people who hated it as those who liked it. The main reason given for people hating it was because they didn`t like websites that automatically played audio and video immediately upon visiting. I am a great believer in the virtual spokesperson technology and our FLV analytics on other sites do generally show people tend to stay on the pages with the actors than on those without. Anyway, www.alchemydigitalmedia.com

Comments

• VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    Just my opinion, but I don`t like it.
    Virtual Spokespeople are a waste of your customers` attention.  Why not use that eyeball time to show your products?
    Also - a site that is all graphics or flash won`t be scanned by the search engines.
  • EGGardnerEGGardner subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi Steve...thanks for the response. If you look further you can see the site is a mixture of Flash and html and has been optimized so that it ranks on the first page of Google for its target keyphrases.

I am a little surprised that you label yourself as a Internet videographer and still don`t like it, which is fine as everybody is entitled to their opinion. My question though is where do you see videography on the Internet playing it`s part? Mainly in webmercials, educational clips, etc? I am interested to know as I have a wider interest in Internet video as a whole and perhaps I am focusing in the wrong area. I am open to suggestion!

Thanks again for responding!
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Earl,
    A find job with the site. It is good that you provide the viewer the option to play the video.

I`m not a big fan of white text on black background because it can be hard to read and may not compatible for printing. But the site looks good.

I see you use javascript to control the flash movie. That could be a problem if any viewers have java turned off.

Wow, there are a lot of web design places in Cape Coral.

~Roland
  • VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member

I am a little surprised that you label yourself as a Internet videographer and still don`t like it, which is fine as everybody is entitled to their opinion. My question though is where do you see videography on the Internet playing it`s part? Mainly in webmercials, educational clips, etc? I am interested to know as I have a wider interest in Internet video as a whole and perhaps I am focusing in the wrong area. I am open to suggestion!

Well, I am open to suggestion as well...  Generally, you only have a few seconds to grab a viewer`s attention, and unless you are selling a personal service, a talking head is time wasted.  Your product is web sites, so I would recommend a flash video featuring a few screenshots with transitions timed to a music bed and a voiceover describing the benefits of your web site designs.  Same amount of time, maybe less than your talking head, but delivering the same or more information.Videography5/9/2008 11:54 AM