WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

shaking out some ideas

ayjayayjay subscriber Posts: 7
edited July 2009 in Selecting a Business
I am looking for some opinions on a few things I`m thinking about. I`m in the rolling-around-ideas-in-my-head stage.

Background:
I have ~10 yrs experience in engineering, project management, and market analysis (not exactly what you may be thinking).

Goal:
Return to school for MS/PhD in biomedical product development in fall of 2010. Long-term goal - build a billion-dollar corporation in the biomed product field. . .(Hey, why not me?) I would probably try to teach engineering while developing my breakthrough products.

Why a Business:
 I want to make sure my kids & husband feel little to no impact from my dream-chasing.

Caveats:
I need to pursue something I can start now while working full-time, so that I can rely on it to supplement grad student income in a year. I am shooting for $30K in supplemental income (multiple sources if needed), but more is always better. (My husband works too - I`m not trying to replace an engineering salary 100%).

My Ideas:
These are all pretty much centered around education and self-improvement. I guess that and bioengineering are my two big interests (yes- I am a boring, boring nerd.)

Tutoring - I haven`t done this before, but I am confident that I could do it. I have a BS in engineering and a strong math, science, and mech engr background. There are volunteer opps at a local community college if I need a way to gain experience before getting paying clients.

Website/blog - a few different ideas:
A site focused on giving  advice on how to succeed in college. Is there room for another site on that topic? Is there a way to reach the slackers who need advice - obviously they aren`t googling "college success"?

Other areas of interest are nontraditional students, teen motherhood/helping others be successful after setbacks, helping people find off-the-beaten track careers for their skills/degrees.

I feel like I am being uncreative, so please, feel free to offer some new ideas, too!

Thanks - AJ

Comments