WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Retail Sales Question

MrJCMrJC subscriber Posts: 1
edited November 2012 in Business Planning
This is a very basic question about retail sales that puzzles me. I hope someone can help me understand how this works. If my cost on an item is $100.00 and I mark the item up 100% (sale price $200.00 which is suggested retail price by supplier), then I pay my sales associate a 10% commission ($20.00), and my cost of goods sold is $5.00 then I should realize a profit for each item sold of $75.00, right? $200 < sale price -$100 <cost of item -$ 20 <employee commission -$ 5 <other costs of goods sold $75 <profit But wait, now I have sold the item and I have to replace it, so I have to spend another $100.00 to replace the inventory. $200 < sale price -$100 <cost of item -$ 20 <employee commission -$ 5 <other costs of goods sold $ 75 <profit -$100 <replacement cost <$25> < loss Does this mean I lose $25.00 on every item I sell? Of course if I do not replace the item I will keep the $75. profit, but that can only happen once (when I go out of business and do not replenish any inventory.) Please explain how one can make a profit with this model? A mark up of greater then 100% would make me less competitive and thereby lose sales, but if I am losing $25.00 on each item sold, obviously I will be out of business very soon. Explain it to me like I am a 6 year old please

Comments