WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Long Tail Strategy

Frank630Frank630 subscriber Posts: 2
Hello Everyone.
I am following a long tail marketing strategy for a marketing niche that I am pursuing. Long tail keywords 1) convert better and 2) have better chances of ranking high in SERP`s.
My question is when you do this, is it necessary to optimize all on-page factors: URL, Title, Header, Alt Tags, Description? If so, then I would need to have separate pages for each long tail keyword phrase.
Your thoughts are appreciated.
Dobner
Twitter: @dobner

Comments

• vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Optimizing for long tail search terms is not much different than for "normal" search terms.
    So, having keywords in url, title, description, links, h1 and alt image tags, bold and normal text all help. Of course you can not get effective results optimizing for all your search terms on one page. So, you`ll need to target a couple on each page.

The one thing with long-tail terms - check your current stats to see what long tail terms are already generating traffic and where you are in search results for those terms. You may find you might not have to change much to get the results you want.

~Roland
  • Frank630Frank630 subscriber Posts: 2
    Roland,
    Thanks. Regarding your last point, what I do is to look at the daily traffic counts for each long tail phrase and compare that with the number of competing pages for each phrase.
    I am looking at a website structure that would use the home page for the main niche phrase and subtending pages on-page optimized for each long tail phrase. Eventually I want to rank for the main phrase, but use the sub-pages to ranked quickly.
    Frank
    Twitter: @dobner
  • vivekshuklavivekshukla subscriber Posts: 130 Silver Level Member
    Long-tail keywords are longer and more specific keyword phrases that visitors are more likely to use when they're closer to a point-of-purchase. They're a little bit counter-intuitive, at first, but they can be hugely valuable if you know how to use them.
    As we have seen, the benefits of long-tail keywords are many:
    * Significant search volume
    * Higher CTR(Click-Through Rate)
    * Cheaper CPCs{Cost Per Click} (or higher ad ranking)
    * Higher conversion rate
    * Lower CPA(Cost Per Acquisition)
  • anushkachhakrabartianushkachhakrabarti subscriber Posts: 219 Silver Level Member
    The theory of the Long Tail is that our culture and economy is increasingly shifting away from a focus on a relatively small number of "hits" at the head of the demand curve and toward a huge number of niches in the tail.
  • saravanansaravanan subscriber Posts: 389 Silver Level Member
    Long tail keywords are preferable to use than traditional keywords because the more specific you get, the less competition you'll encounter. Thus, it's easier for your website to rank higher in search result pages for these keywords.