WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

How to find an over view of an industry?

design4webdesign4web subscriber Posts: 6
edited February 2009 in Business Planning
Ok, This is probably a very easy question in which many are already aware of. I am starting to do my research again and want to know how to find it.
1. Research an industry / market and find averages of companies earnings, profits etc.
I think it is very important to know this prior to starting, id hate to be in something and not make enough money, while this is still a possibility with any business it can help, example toys is not that profitable however printing probably is.
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    MattTurpinMattTurpin subscriber Posts: 22
    You want to know how to get all those rough figures for a business plan, pretty much? I got mine by hiring a consultant. I`ve spent about 300 so far, but the information is so worth it. They were able to give me figures for all the possible shapes and forms my cafe could take. I can only imagine that a consultant in the field you`re interested in could offer similar knowledge. My consultants work on a piecemeal basis, and I pay as I progress. If I continue with the entire process, it could cost up to 7,000, but I don`t see it even costing half that. I`d recommend googling "your industry" consultants. You get what you pay for.
  • Options
    davebarnes04davebarnes04 subscriber Posts: 0
    Hey Stan & Mark,

Thanks for the info leads! That was just what I needed. I was able to quickly get US market numbers to continue work on my business plan. Zapdata was great. I was able to download two different industry analysis reports with a couple clicks. I`m sure I can fend off the sales calls when they realize I`m a startup...