WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

banner clicks and contextual clicks

hotbigdhotbigd subscriber Posts: 1
edited May 2008 in Marketing
hey guys
have you guys ever bought banner clicks or contextual clicks?  I got some quotes and the clicks can be much cheaper and just as targeted as Adwords.  I am trying to generate traffic, user generated content, and signups.  Please share your experiences using adwords vs display advertising and who you used.  tx

Comments

• DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    Do yourself a favor and read my article on banner advertising: 8 Effective Ways to Improve the Conversion Ratio of Banner Ads

Dale King
  • sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member

Do yourself a favor and read my article on banner advertising: 8 Effective Ways to Improve the Conversion Ratio of Banner Ads Dale King

I respectfully disagree with everything except #`s 5, 6 and 7.  Banners indeed have to load quickly or else you lose customers.  When it comes to banner ads you need to have the right phrase that will draw the potential customer into your site.  Think of it as fishing for customers but in this case you need to determine the right bait to draw them in.  It all comes down to the copy of the text/banner ad. You can have whatever related images colors bells and whistles in the ad.  However, if the copy in the ad does not draw in the readers, everything else is irrelevant.sddreamweavers5/26/2008 4:46 PM
    I respectfully disagree with everything except #`s 5, 6 and 7.  It all comes down to the copy of the text/banner ad. You can have whatever related images colors bells and whistles in the ad.  However, if the copy in the ad does not draw in the readers, everything else is irrelevant.

Aaron, I don`t mind if someone has a legitimate disagreement with me and can back up his argument with facts. That`s what this community is all about. But it appears you`re disagreeing just for the sake of disagreeing. I call that nitpicking. If you actually take the time to read my article, you`ll notice that my first two points covers the importance of effective copywriting. Did you not read my article?

Ergo, if my first two talking points covers the importance of  effective copy, what exactly are you disagreeing with? Because any marketing expert worth his or her salt will tell you that the additional scientifically proven psychological elements I listed in my article are crucial components for getting the maximum out of an advertisement - banner or otherwise.

Sure, your car will run if you fill it up with gas. But it will run considerably better if you have a clean air filter, clean oil, fresh spark plugs, etc. The same holds true with advertising. Good copy alone will indeed produce results. But if you marry that copy with other scientifically proven psychological  elements, the results will be even better!

If you dispute anything in my article, I suggest you read Tested Advertising Methods by John Caples and Scientific Advertising by Claude Hopkins.

Effective advertising goes far beyond copy, my friend!

Dale King
    DaleKing5/26/2008 6:09 PM

I respectfully disagree with everything except #`s 5, 6 and 7.  It all comes down to the copy of the text/banner ad. You can have whatever related images colors bells and whistles in the ad.  However, if the copy in the ad does not draw in the readers, everything else is irrelevant.    Aaron, I don`t mind if someone has a legitimate disagreement with me and can back up his argument with facts. That`s what this community is all about. But it appears you`re disagreeing just for the sake of disagreeing. I call that nitpicking. If you actually take the time to read my article, you`ll notice that my first two points covers the importance of effective copywriting. Did you not read my article?
    I did read your article and it does not cover the proper methods on how to write good copy.  There`s a specific way to do this and the way that was described in the article does not come close to the methods needed to draw potential customers in.  It`s all about baiting.
    This is ridiculous! Your own website uses none of the copywriting techniques that you espouse. Your own copy is horrible! How do you explain that? As far as I`m concerned, you have zero credibility when it comes to talking about copywriting!

Dale King

This is ridiculous! Your own website uses none of the copywriting techniques that you espouse. Your own copy is horrible! How do you explain that? As far as I`m concerned, you have zero credibility when it comes to talking about copywriting! Dale King

Like I`m going to put that info on my site.  LOL 
    I guess we can agree to disagree at this point.