WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

environmentally friendly packaging info plz

beachdibeachdi subscriber Posts: 10
edited June 2007 in Environmental
Hi,
Could somebody/anybody please list a resource to obtain environmentally friendly packaging...and what constitutes this definition.   When I package my apparel products for shipping to customers I would like to have earth friendly packaging, not earth killing and polluting packaging....if there is such a thing?  
recycled tissue paper, recycled paper bags?   I am open to any and all advice, websites, reading material etc. 
thank you,
dianne

Comments

• beachdibeachdi subscriber Posts: 10
    Thank you for a great idea.   But in the beginning I will be shipping products that will fit in the USPS envelopes.   I need environementally friendly `product packaging` for when the customer opens the ugly usps envelope, my apparel products will be wrapped in something pretty.    
    Is there such a thing as recycled tissue paper?  or bags with handles?
    This may seem small, but I am trying.
    p.s.  I could include a note in each shipment reminding people to `be nice to earth and please recycle`
    Thanx,
    Dianne
  • bertbert subscriber Posts: 12
    Packaging is an important issue.  Doing it right gives your customers a very positive message and helps the environment.  As for ideas, use easily recreated or recycled items that are non-polluting.  Something as simple as your own shredded paper from your own business can work.  The less packaging you have the better. 
    Holy Cow,
    Perfect information...I am tackling it right now, 1 website at a time.
    I sincerely thank you. 
    I belong to another forum, www.mompreneursonline.com</A>   Would it be o.k. if I copy/paste your post and let the ladies over there know.   Most of them have established businesses, but possibly don`t know about these ideas/options.

Dianne
    Go right ahead.  I am happy to help...
  • RoughstockRoughstock subscriber Posts: 2
    In addition to the fantastic resources Bert mentioned, you might be interested in reading about others are doing it.Certaintees is a great example of a sustainable business model. Check out their FAQS, which discusses packaging and shipping among other things.Some things to consider when packaging for retail:End use: Hoe much of the package will be thrown away? Is there a way to reduce the amount of materials used, and thus the amount of materials that will end up in the waste stream? This is often when a graphic designer can help.Shipping: Is there a way to create a package that takes up less space, and thus requires less energy/fuel to transport?Materials: Is the packaging recyclable, or better yet, biodegradable? Is it made from recycled or reclaimed materials. TerraCycle is the perfect example: they reclaim used soda bottles and package their product right in `em.Materials: Look for FSC-certified paper goods, at least 35% PCW recycled paper goods, etc.Some vendors that carry that eco-conscious materials:Eco ProductsTreeCyclePaperNutsFind FSC-certified manufacturersSeattle government`s own supply resource pageGood luck!J.
    I think I have it!
    www.biodegradeablestore.com</A> and I can purchase good ol` brown paper bags that are;
    "Our brown paper bags are an excellent environmental choice.  They are 100% biodegradable and unbleached.  With a minimum of 30% post-consumer recycled paper, choose our brown paper bags to give your customers."
    I will put a pretty logo`d sticker on the bag and Voila....eco-friendly, and pretty.
    Plus I emailed some other companies for future larger packaging peanuts/box needs. 
    This is great.  I will pass this information on. 
     Dianne `the happy girl`
  • ToddFToddF subscriber Posts: 3
    One thing you can do is make sure the package itself is reusable. Meaning they might use it to keep pens in, or maybe its so nice they keep it as some nice book shelf piece. Aveda sends out some really nice stuff. their candles come in this supper cool craft paper/card board round container thats almost impossible to just throw out. It`s a different approch to recycling, make it simply to nice to toss.
  • RoughstockRoughstock subscriber Posts: 2
    I think I have it!
    www.ecoproducts.com sister site is www.biodegradeablestore.com and I can purchase good ol` brown paper bags that are;
    "Our brown paper bags are an excellent environmental choice.  They are 100% biodegradable and unbleached.  With a minimum of 30% post-consumer recycled paper, choose our brown paper bags to give your customers."
    I will put a pretty logo`d sticker on the bag and Voila....eco-friendly, and pretty.
    Plus I emailed some other companies for future larger packaging peanuts/box needs. 
    This is great.  I will pass this information on. 
     Dianne `the happy girl`Fantastic; don`t forget to inform your customers about your choices, na dlet them know that the packaging can go right into the recycle or compost bin.
    Dianne, do you have a retail web site?  I might have some other ideas if I had a better idea of the types of things you are shipping.
    No retail yet.  
    Graphic design/logo brand identity should be completed within 3 weeks.  Then onward to the website design/shopping cart etc.  My target date for retail website up and running (after review by everyone at SUN, of course) is August 25. 
    here is a description of my initial product line; beach apparel for females.  tshirts, tank tops, cotton visors, and of course stickers and magnets.  Sizes . small - XL
    thank you
    It sounds like you are shipping fairly light items.  USPS mailing products are made from 100 percent recycled content with post-consumer content ranging from 80 to 100 percent.  Therefore you are right, brown paper containers used with something like the flat rate boxes from the US Postal Service will not only be environmentally sound but it will be very cost effective.  The flat rate boxes are nice because you can put a lot in them all for the same price.  I think you have the right idea and there isn`t much else I can think to add...
  • ujeansujeans subscriber Posts: 1
    One thing you can do is make sure the package itself is reusable. Meaning they might use it to keep pens in, or maybe its so nice they keep it as some nice book shelf piece. Aveda sends out some really nice stuff. their candles come in this supper cool craft paper/card board round container thats almost impossible to just throw out. It`s a different approch to recycling, make it simply to nice to toss.Hello Dianne,This is what UJeans does for its packaging.  We send out our jeans in denim envelopes.  The denim envelopes are not going to be thrown out and will be reused.  As an added bonus, the bags are made from reclaimed denim that would have otherwise been thrown out.Please steal this idea!Daniel
    Hi All,
    I just wanted to update you on my final packaging.    PLUS I am a little `shocked` at my post being in June.  I truly thought I would have launched my website by now.   Oh well...if you are going to do it right, then do it right! ha ha
    I ended up ordering many enviro friendly jute bags, various sizes to package my shell belts and tshirts in.  Plus, on a whim I ordered some organza wine bags/pouches since they are at least reusable and I know the girls/customers will not throw them away.    
    After my test shipments to friends in Ohio and Georgia they mentioned that the jute bags `smell` hmmmm.. I thought I could air them out....After 3 weeks of airing, they still have that `smell` Personally, I love it!  it smells like a feedbag, sortof like a leather saddle on a horse.  O.K. enuf of that.  PLUS the jute rubbed off on the tshirts.   I have to go with my test market and I returned all of the over 200 jute bags.    I wanted something colorful and really feminine and the jute bags were in purples and maroons.  Now I will package the tees and jewelry in the organza bags/pouches.  They are also maroon and purple colors.  
    I have also been trying to avoid putting my tees in the polybags....but honestly, they stay nice and folded in those, with less wrinkling.   So that is definitely the `not green` part of my business. 
    good green stuff - recycled paper/cardstock and hemp yarn for my hangtags that attach to the clothing and jewelry items. and all of my customer correspondence is on recycled paper.  Package product in organza bags that are pretty and therefore Reusable.  For all purchases over $75 the customer receives a large jute wine pouch, very sturdy with grommets.  (for some reason these do not smell) These are also resusable and re-giftable.   
    thank you for all of the help and advice!  I still love the idea from ujeans for jean packages, I will check into that.   
    dianne
  • barkwheatsbarkwheats subscriber Posts: 3
    Realize it`s a bit late joining in on this discussion, but I wanted to point out my packaging.  My box for my treats is 100% recycled content and totally compostable, with the inner bag being made from cottonwood cellulose and completely compostable as well.  The inks are water based and the glues are dextrin based, giving me a completely compostable packaging.  I`m just about to have my boxes printed after weeks of back and forth with samples (the only not-so-green thing with these boxes...lots of UPS travel) and am SUPER excited about it. 
    Plus...outside of the packaging, my main piece of equipment I use is hand cranked, and suppliers I work with are wind/solar powered, and even my credit card processor is wind/solar powered!  Ingredients are nearly 100% locally sourced here in Maine within 60 miles of where I live, and the greening goes on and on. 
    Anyways, just wanted to drop a note and let ya know I`m doing what I can, just as you are, to help the environment with my product
  • barkwheatsbarkwheats subscriber Posts: 3
    Absolutely JoAnn, that`s one thing that I`ve been taking care to be covered on.  The company that I work with on my bags I believe will be getting certified by the Biodegradable Products Institute to certify that these bags are indeed compostable.  I personally know that they are as I`ve got some composting in my bin out back right now and check on them every week or so.  It`s an interesting process to watch something that just seems like plastic turn into a soggy mess and then disappear. 
    Thanks again!