WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Will this blog hurt me?

deeze6deeze6 subscriber Posts: 1
I am thinking about starting a blog about my journey in starting a new computer consulting business.
However, as I meet prospective clients one of the first questions they
ask is how long my company has been in business. Initially I would tell
the truth and say I`m just starting out, in which case the client would
turn me down immediately (no one wants to take a chance with a
startup). So then I started to stretch the truth a little and say its
been in business two years now, in which case I have been more
successful getting projects.
My question is, if I write a blog about starting a new business will it
end up hurting me when clients google my name and find my "startup
business" blog?
Also I was considering blogging anonymously but it kind of defeats the
purpose of me even having a blog - which is to build a personal brand
and attract more business.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks,
Nick

Comments

• vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    It might be a valid concern. To understand its` impact you need to know what your target market thinks about it. If it (a start up) is a concern to them, then it is something for which you need to have a response.

My guess is this (start-up/new business) will be a concern and/or a question regardless if you have a blog or not.

You need to communicate why people should be in business with you... what are your selling points - that offset a long-term business (competitor).  Do you have other experience (working for others) that boosts your experience level in the eyes of a potential client? Specific knowledge, education, specialty?

~Roland
  • DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
    (no one wants to take a chance with a startup).

Not true, Nick. Consumers take chances with startup businesses every single day. The only thing that matters is your competence. If you present yourself and your service in a professional manner, people will give you a chance.

Granted, it`s a little more difficult when you don`t have a track record that you can point to. But there are ways of getting around that. For example, you can offer your consulting services for free in exchange for testimonials.  Don`t underestimate the power of legitimate testimonials.         

Once you have a few testimonials under your belt, you`ll be off and running!

David Jackson
    DavidJackson8/18/2009 1:33 PM