WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Hosting Companies: Are You Happy With Yours?

DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
edited December 2014 in Building A Website That Works
We all would like to find the perfect hosting company. Unfortunately, it doesn`t exist. Like it or not, no hosting company is perfect. They all have warts. It`s just that some have more warts than others.

In that regard, tell us who your hosting company is and if you`re happy with it.

I`ll go first. My hosting company is Midphase.  I`ve used them on several of my sites, and for the most part I`m satisfied with their service.

Okay, your turn.

David Jackson
DavidJackson4/1/2009 10:40 AM

Comments

• WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    I always wondered why GoDaddy, as big as they are, doesn`t have an 800 service/support number. They have decent pricing, I`ve just never liked the backend to manage sites, much prefer Control Panel.
  • DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
    I always wondered why GoDaddy, as big as they are, doesn`t have an 800 service/support number.

I have a special list of top hosting companies that I`ve compiled based primarily on customer reviews.  And as popular as GoDaddy is, it doesn`t make the cut. I`ll be releasing the list this summer, when I launch my new forum.

David Jackson
    DavidJackson4/1/2009 2:02 PM

I use www.totalchoicehosting.com They have been a great company to me. I have used them for over 8years now and would have to say they have over a 99% uptime.     That uptime figure, while it may sound impressive really isn`t. All hosting companies make that exact same claim. I`m not saying that TotalChoice isn`t a good hosting company. All I`m saying is 99% uptime claim isn`t all that impressive. Thanks for  letting us know about TotalChoice!  David JacksonDavidJackson4/1/2009 3:21 PM
    I`m sure there are others out there just as good as totalchoicehosting.com but I figure heck, why move from something you’re happy with.

Exactly right. If it ain`t broke...

David Jackson
  • MattThomasMattThomas subscriber Posts: 2
    I use GoDaddy. I`m pretty easy to please, but I haven`t had any problems with them and as a result, have little to complain about. A main feature that I like (which may very well be standard with certain hosting plans with any company) is that I can host unlimited sites under the same account without paying extra (provided I don`t need more space). 
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    I provide my own hosting... I very satisfied with myself

I`m a reseller of hosting... I host a number of sites from static to ecommerce sites
    Full cPanel with fantastico... that has a long list of free programs.

~Roland
    I use GoDaddy. I`m pretty easy to please, but I haven`t had any problems with them and as a result, have little to complain about. A main feature that I like (which may very well be standard with certain hosting plans with any company) is that I can host unlimited sites under the same account without paying extra (provided I don`t need more space). 

Yep, that`s pretty standard.

David Jackson
  • chrisdavischrisdavis subscriber Posts: 0
    I like yola.com. Free never hurt anybody...plus it`s great for beginners
  • nevadasculnevadascul subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    I have limited needs when it comes to hosting.  I maintain a web site to refer potential clients to.  So, I use Yahoo Small Business hosting.  In three years, I`ve never had a problem with Yahoo.
    I use Yahoo Small Business hosting.  In three years, I`ve never had a problem with Yahoo.

You could do a lot worse than Yahoo.

David Jackson
  • CasiCasi subscriber Posts: 5
    I use http://www.futurequest.net/ and I`m happy with them.

But here is an article on "top 25 web hosts" that may be interesting.
  • elfdesignelfdesign subscriber Posts: 0
    I use Dreamhost for my sites - and I love working with them. Their toolkit is really helpful, and their support is always quick and helpful.
  • gsamadgsamad subscriber Posts: 2 Member

That uptime figure, while it may sound impressive really isn`t. All hosting companies make that exact same claim. I`m not saying that TotalChoice isn`t a good hosting company. All I`m saying is 99% uptime claim isn`t all that impressive.

David is right.  If you think about it, with 365 days in a year, 99% uptime means that the service is down 3.65 days per year!  Not impressive at all.  Downright unreliable in my book.
    I have been heavily involved in the past in telecommunications / datacommunications as an engineer and the telephone companies have what they call "five nines" reliability - that`s 99.999% reliable, which means your phone is out on average about 52 minutes per year!
    I consider a web hosting service with "three nines" - or 99.9% reliability - to be good.  That means down about 1/3 of a day per year or 8 hours.
      Gary
    David is right.  If you think about it, with 365 days in a year, 99% uptime means that the service is down 3.65 days per year!  Not impressive at all.  Downright unreliable in my book.
    I consider a web hosting service with "three nines" - or 99.9% reliability - to be good.  That means down about 1/3 of a day per year or 8 hours.

I agree, Gary. Unfortunately, very few hosting companies reach that lofty standard.

David Jackson
  • ArcherTCArcherTC subscriber Posts: 1
    Frankly, even if a company boasted of such a thing, I would remain skeptical.  Most hosting firms seem to rely on purchasers who do not know what they are buying into and, when failures occur, skimp on customer service.  What they do in the downtime is as important to me as the uptime.
    While I am very, very wary of Top 25 lists, I greedily read testimonials and reviews.  That is how I found Arvixe.com, with which I have been very, very pleased.  I have worked with them through a set of problems caused by some 3rd party tools I have used for a few sites and, rather than push me back to the developers, they`ve offered thoughtful customer support. I cannot sing their praises enough.
    Furthermore, since GoDaddy has a NoDaddy.com site of displeased customers, I was happy to go with a different company that had so much praise from its customers.  Simply put, cheap is not enough.
    I recently shared the following list with a client.  Happy to pass this along here :
    Cyberland-USAwww.cyberland-usa.com
    20845 Okemos Dr.
    Big Rapids, MI 49307
    Phone #: 231-803-4215
    Note: Business office hours are Mon-Fri.
    from 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. EST
    $41 annually for hosting 2 domains
    $57 annually for hosting 5 domains
    92% positive rating in 34 reviews
    Paypal and all major credit cards accepted
    Arvixe, LLChttp://www.arvixe.com/
    PO Box 14738
    San Luis Obispo, CA 93406-4738
    Live Chat, phone and email support
    Personal Class incl. 6 hosted domains for $60 Annually
    1 Domain name renewed annually for free
    97% positive rating in 377 reviews
    AccuWebHostingwww.accuwebhosting.com
    48 Bi-State Plaza #185
    Old Tappan, NJ 07675
    Live chat, phone
    1-877-SOS-HOST (877-767-4678) (9:30 A.M to 5:00 P.M) (Monday-Friday)Time Zone: MST
    $80 annually for 5 domains hosted
    Free domain renewal in the first year for 1 of the 5 domains
    98% in 300+ reviews
    Web Hosting Buzzhttp://www.webhostingbuzz.com
    WHB NETWORKS LLC.
    501 Silverside Rd, Suite 105
    Wilmington, DE 19809
    $83.40 annually for Buzz Lite, incl. a free domain
    +1.302.407.0927 and +1.302.407.0937
    92% of 1300+ reviews