WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Why You Shouldn`t Twitter

Comments

• stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    I recently started using sitemeter for projects and think it is a great tool as well!
  • DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
    I agree. Sitemeter is outstanding!

David Jackson
    DavidJackson4/19/2009 10:37 AM
    I do recommend though even if you NEVER post a tweet, go in and grab your business name if it`s available and put a short bio in and link to your website if you have one. Many people also use it and its applications as a directory, it`s free so do so you should take advantage of it and also so someone doesn`t take your name and start using it themselves.

That`s actually very good advice. I`ll do that.

David Jackson
    Another feature that`s valuable, even if, as Heather says, you never tweet, is to use Twitter`s search feature. Set up a search for your business name or one or two critical keywords, and let it run...you`ll see the entire message of anyone on Twitter who is talking about you or your market. I use TweetDeck to do this.

Hmmmm...interesting. Sort of like Google Alerts. Thanks, Perry!

David Jackson
    I`m @forfeng if anyone from SUN wants to join me on twitter

If I ever decide to do the Twitter thing, I`ll look you up.

David Jackson
  • advernationadvernation subscriber Posts: 3
    twittering is not for every business, its good if you are in the movie/music/news/media/restaurant industry and maybe a few that i missed- and its basically a facebook status app that is on facebook, but that is it, so its just another account that you have to create and manage while i do have a twitter - i dont see the point for it promoting certain businesses
    i dont see the point for it promoting certain businesses

Not too long ago, I used to think the same exact thing, and I was wrong back then - just like you`re wrong now. Twitter can be used to promote virtually any type of business - profit or non-profit. You are limited only by your imagination. A good friend of mine showed me hard numbers what Twitter has done for his business, and I became a believer.

I will be using Twitter myself this summer, when I launch my new website. I already have a million ideas about how to promote my business via Twitter. I can`t wait to get started!

David Jackson
    DavidJackson4/26/2009 5:53 PM
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40

Not too long ago, I used to think the same exact thing, and I was wrong back then - just like you`re wrong now. Twitter can be used to promote virtually any type of business - profit or non-profit. You are limited only by your imagination. A good friend of mine showed me hard numbers what Twitter has done for his business, and I became a believer. I will be using Twitter myself this summer, when I launch my new website. I already have a million ideas about how to promote my business via Twitter. I can`t wait to get started! David Jackson  Then a preliminary "welcome to tweet-land, twitter-ville, ... twitter" is due. You`ll find several SUN members already there. ~Roland
    Then a preliminary "welcome to tweet-land, twitter-ville, ... twitter" is due. You`ll find several SUN members already there.

Thanks!

David Jackson
  • kathleenfasanellakathleenfasanella subscriber Posts: 0
    If anyone is still following this, the author of the article has since rescinded his position.
    If anyone is still following this, the author of the article has since rescinded his position.

Actually, he didn`t. He took the coward`s way out, and called it a draw. He said that Twitter users were partially right, and he was partially right. He wouldn`t admit that he was completely wrong about Twitter. Unfortunately, not everyone is capable of admitting when they`re wrong.

That requires a certain degree of character.

David Jackson
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    "Finally, I still don`t see why my dry cleaner should use Twitter. "To announce sales!" was the most common answer, but really, why would I ever follow my dry cleaner on Twitter to learn of a sale? This is one place where physical reality still trumps virtual reality." source

I still think he doesn`t "get it". It`s like he is thinking in two dimensions while operating in a three dimensional world.

The internet and how we use it and how our target market uses it is evolving all the time. We need to keep an open mind and think of how these new and evolving tools can help our business.

For a dry cleaner using Twitter to "announce sales" is one limited use... of more valuable would be to provide a value added service to their customers. Maybe tweet (direct message) customers when their cleaning is ready? Networking with customers can provide other opportunities also...

~Roland

I still think he doesn`t "get it". It`s like he is thinking in two dimensions while operating in a three dimensional world.
          That`s because he doesn`t want to get it - at least not entirely. Because then he would have to admit that he was completely wrong about Twitter. He doesn`t strike me as the type of person who will admit when he`s wrong. David Jackson
  • cortecorte subscriber Posts: 0
    In my experience, the vast majority of small business owners simply do not have the time to spend seeding and developing social traffic.
    In addition, I know quite a few people that are adept at driving social traffic to their sites and they tell me social traffic is difficult to monetize.
    I tell my clients that, if their time is limited, they are much better off writing additional keyword-based content on their sites as well as obtaining a variety of high-quality inbound links.
    I also tell them to use social bookmark buttons on all of their content pages. If you really have interesting and compelling content, the best strategy is to get your visitors doing your social marketing for you.
    At the end of the day, if I have 30 minutes to spend on my marketing efforts, it will be adding new content to my site, not developing my "brand" via social networking.
    If you find you can actually monetize a decent amount of social traffic, then go for it. From what I`ve seen, people who are really bringing in consistent profits through social marketing are few and far between.
    At the end of the day, if I have 30 minutes to spend on my marketing efforts, it will be adding new content to my site, not developing my "brand" via social networking.

I used to think that way as well. But I opened my mind and discovered the awesome power and potential of Twitter. And since Twitter has an estimated 10 million users, it`s worth taking the time to see how you can incorporate it into your business.

I can assure you, no one recognizes the importance of fresh, relevant content more than I do. I create fresh content on a regular basis, and will continue to do so. But Twitter`s 10 million users is a huge potential audience for my content - much too huge to ignore!

David Jackson